Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tricked by US Bank credit card issuance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tricked by US Bank credit card issuance

US Bank and Bank of America to me are more conservative than Chase.  Chase gave me a 5k limit matching my highest Amex.  Citi bank offered me 2.4k.  Boa offered me 2.1k. Even if I had the other things frozen that I cant remember the names of, US Bank would look at me, laugh, and walk away. I don't really get the wow factor with US Bank.  Need to brush up on themanwhocan's charts to see if any us bank cards are listed.  Only reason I have a BOA card is because of Amtrak.

The thing that baffles me....why would Citi offer me 2.4 k on a double cash, 0 for 18 months, then 13.99%, their second lowest...... ok.... then Chase approves me for 5k at 15% (not sure if that one is variable though).... then bank of america approves me for less than Citi, with their HIGHEST apr, even though I have a joint application with someone who already has a relationship with BOA.

Unless you spend a ton in the 5% categories every week.... I don't see how its worth it.  I guess IKEA is one of the 5%.  But its only up to 2k in a quarter.  So I would have to basically wait until one quarter starts and another ends and time it just right to surpass the 2k spend at ikea.  Even then the tax is crazy high.  If its fast food... most places take the tap and pay, where discover apple pay would be a better deal by 17%.

Regardless, their backup card offering soooo reminds me of sams...when I apped for the MC and got the PLCC instead.

Message 31 of 34
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

US Bank and Bank of America to me are more conservative than Chase.  Chase gave me a 5k limit matching my highest Amex.  Citi bank offered me 2.4k.  Boa offered me 2.1k. Even if I had the other things frozen that I cant remember the names of, US Bank would look at me, laugh, and walk away. I don't really get the wow factor with US Bank.  Need to brush up on themanwhocan's charts to see if any us bank cards are listed.  Only reason I have a BOA card is because of Amtrak.

The thing that baffles me....why would Citi offer me 2.4 k on a double cash, 0 for 18 months, then 13.99%, their second lowest...... ok.... then Chase approves me for 5k at 15% (not sure if that one is variable though).... then bank of america approves me for less than Citi, with their HIGHEST apr, even though I have a joint application with someone who already has a relationship with BOA.

Unless you spend a ton in the 5% categories every week.... I don't see how its worth it.  I guess IKEA is one of the 5%.  But its only up to 2k in a quarter.  So I would have to basically wait until one quarter starts and another ends and time it just right to surpass the 2k spend at ikea.  Even then the tax is crazy high.  If its fast food... most places take the tap and pay, where discover apple pay would be a better deal by 17%.

Regardless, their backup card offering soooo reminds me of sams...when I apped for the MC and got the PLCC instead.

Discover Apple Pay is a very temporary thing though.

In general, I get your point though. If the categories don't suit you, it's not a great card!

Message 32 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

DId you call in to try to recon? Just curious...

Message 33 of 34
Open123
Super Contributor

Initially, I had found US Bank extremely underwhelming.  

However, over time, I've found them to an excellent Bank and better than most.  In my view, their Gold checking with CC auto pay is a great value.  While the Cash+ has been nerfed, for some, the ability to choose 5% categories is still extremely useful.  For instance, the Charity confers 5% cashback on Symphony and Opera tickets.  

If I were the OP, I'd just keep the card and see if it'll be upgraded to the full Cash+ in 6 months.

Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.