Did you mean: 

Tricky credit card frauds I've recently heard of

tag
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Re: Tricky credit card frauds I've recently heard of

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If I leave a cash tip, I write "CASH" in the tip field, then fill out the total field. 

Side note. I was in a few countries in southern Africa a few years back. All of the restaurants  there have wireless card terminals that they bring to your table. You never let your card out of sight while in Africa, way too much fraud can happen there. 

It's pretty sad that even a third world country like Africa is more advanced than the United States when it comes to card technology.

Africa is not a country

Message 11 of 36
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Also there are numerous countries in Africa that are not third world 😊
Message 12 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cal- wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If I leave a cash tip, I write "CASH" in the tip field, then fill out the total field. 

Side note. I was in a few countries in southern Africa a few years back. All of the restaurants  there have wireless card terminals that they bring to your table. You never let your card out of sight while in Africa, way too much fraud can happen there. 

It's pretty sad that even a third world country like Africa is more advanced than the United States when it comes to card technology.

Africa is not a country

I should stop posting while half askeep lol 

Message 13 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just starting leaving tips on CC's after advice from the myfico community.  Its worked out well.

And for ages, even with debit cards, I have always written in the tip, total, and by my signature write in the total again with it circled.

What is really funny is how picky people get with splitting bills this day and age.  Sorry, but your smartphone has a calculator.  Unless the wait staff offers to split the bill, its not that hard to do it yourself, and hand the cards and say divide the total evenl.....unless theres a big difference, write each amount and the persons name.  Easy!

Of course I always prefer now to use my card for the whole bill and tip, and get reimbursed by cash or paypal from friends/family.  (after using a coupon or restaurant.com certificate or something first of course!)

Message 14 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applebees is pretty advanced, they have terminals at the table, I found it awesome the waitress slid the card in front of me handed me the screen to sign and add tip electronicaly.

I get a text alert whenever my card is charged, so I would know if my card went through or not. (The exception being my Marvel card.)

Message 15 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Applebees is pretty advanced, they have terminals at the table, I found it awesome the waitress slid the card in front of me handed me the screen to sign and add tip electronicaly.

I get a text alert whenever my card is charged, so I would know if my card went through or not. (The exception being my Marvel card.)

Sadly it's still not advanced technology unless it uses EMV and contactless payment methods.

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sadly it's still not advanced technology unless it uses EMV and contactless payment methods.

I think most people would be fine with pay at the table regardless of what it uses. In fact, given the current bad terminal programming among retailers, swipe might actually be preferred right now by some.

Personally I haven't run into any tip fraud but I suppose it's possible that a small enough amount has gotten added on once or twice such that I wouldn't notice.

Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had fraud with the tip line once.  It was on a debit card, so I noticed quickly.  The tip amount was higher than I'd written.  The manager did not care that the sum was too low on the total line and said I must have written the higher tip and done my math wrong. He said they do not have to charge my card according to my poor math. (My math skills are excellent)  The bank was no help either, because the paper receipt I signed showed the high tip despite the total amount I had written being different from the amount charged.

Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wondering, what's the point of using your card for the food only and leaving a cash tip?

Why not add the tip with your card and write the total?

I round up to the nearest dollar so that there are no cents in the total charge.

Message 19 of 36
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wondering, what's the point of using your card for the food only and leaving a cash tip?

Why not add the tip with your card and write the total?

I round up to the nearest dollar so that there are no cents in the total charge.

Cash tip is end of the day/night pocket money for the server, usually, while if tip is paid with a CC they'll have to wait for it in their biweekly paycheck.

Also, cash tips may not be taxable because there may not be any proof of such income for the server, while CC tip would be documented and have to be included in income tax.

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.