Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried CLI on Discover - No Luck

tag
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Re: Tried CLI on Discover - No Luck

@randy230k wrote:

I've been helping my brother figure his credit situation out.  He's had a Discover It for a little over 4 months now.  It started as a $1,200 limit card.  So, heeding my advice, he's been using that card almost exclusively now and ran about 2K through it per month for the last 2 months, PIF twice a month.  So the other day, he came to my office and we called Discover.  After requesting the CLI, we were transferred to another dept ( I guess underwriting services).  They asked why he needed the increase.  He told them that it was really annoying to have to pay on the card more than once a month because the limit was so low.  One HP later and about 2 mins later, CLI to $5,500.  Currently his highest limit.  His scores are in the mid 600s.  

Did he request $5500? 

Message 11 of 15
randy230k
New Contributor

No, he left it open ended. Maybe he could've gotten more, but he was so happy when the rep told him that they could offer 5500, he didn't even ask for anything else.

In the garden since 7/30/17
Message 12 of 15
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@randy230k wrote:
No, he left it open ended. Maybe he could've gotten more, but he was so happy when the rep told him that they could offer 5500, he didn't even ask for anything else.

Thats awesome!  I'll be leaving my HP CLI's open ended from now on, feel like I dropped the ball going from 800-2000 and 2000-3000.  Costed me 2 HP's I was happy but still to this day wonder if I could have gotten more. 

Message 13 of 15
aaronj91
Established Member

Yea I just tried for CLI they said they couldnt approve at this time. And I only asked for $500 increase. I assume I'm just going have to run up the balance close to the limit and see if it works.

Capital One Quicksilver ($2,000) JCP Gold ($4,300), Citi Forward ($1,600), Bank of America Cash Rewards ($2,000), Discover IT ($1,000), Kohl’s MVC ($1,000)
Message 14 of 15
keithB
Established Contributor

@hizzaah wrote:

I tried at 4 months and at 5 months to get cli and they said no. When I called about it they said to wait at least 6 months because i didn't have enough history. A few days after my 6th statement released I got a $250 auto increase. I'll probably wait until my 8th or 9th month to try again. In my short experience (I carried from 4th and paid off at 6th) and from reading around, Discover seems to like when you carry a balance for a while then PIF. Good luck!

Pretty much same here - I was denied at the 90 day window but at 120 days they jumped me up from $1500 to $3000.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.