Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to Close US Bank CC

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Tried to Close US Bank CC

Well I AM going to request they close my only card with them this week as soon as i see the statement cut post to the CRA's.

If they do make for shananigans like that with mine and try to play games like that, it only takes me 45 minutes to cross the Ohio River bridge over to Ky and go into a Branch to finalize it if that is such an issue for them.

But it will get done.

Message 11 of 15
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

Have you considered converting it to an unsecured card instead of closing it? They allowed me to do that over the phone, although they did not give me an immediate decision. Maybe a week later I got the new card in the mail and separately a check returning my security deposit. They do require an HP to make the conversion, and all you get is the crappy platinun card at the same credit line. (Notice the measly $500 card in my signature.) One of these days when I don't mind getting another HP, I'll try to PC it to the Cash+. My TU score report is now completely clean, so they have no reason to decline me now. But then again, it is US Bank.

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@itgirl74 wrote:

Have you considered converting it to an unsecured card instead of closing it? They allowed me to do that over the phone, although they did not give me an immediate decision. Maybe a week later I got the new card in the mail and separately a check returning my security deposit. They do require an HP to make the conversion, and all you get is the crappy platinun card at the same credit line. (Notice the measly $500 card in my signature.) One of these days when I don't mind getting another HP, I'll try to PC it to the Cash+. My TU score report is now completely clean, so they have no reason to decline me now. But then again, it is US Bank.

Hmm ... memory ain't what it used to be but, thought I read you could p/c the US Bank Platinum Credit Card to something of more interest?!

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@B335is wrote:
I closed a Club Carlson card last week and they closed it over the phone in about 2 minutes, never mentioned anything about coming into a branch.

They treat the secured card differently because they will be refunding the security deposit.

Makes sense.  How do other Banks handle this?  I would think it's easier for everyone if they just mail the check.

My other secured was with Wells Fargo and they simply transferred the funds to my checking account when it graduated.

Message 14 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@itgirl74 wrote:

Hmm ... memory ain't what it used to be but, thought I read you could p/c the US Bank Platinum Credit Card to something of more interest?!

Yep, my first cash+ card started as a platinum.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.