cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to make a payment, was told No? Why?

tag
StriderM99
New Contributor

Tried to make a payment, was told No? Why?

I have 3 credit cards. I enjoy trying to keep a zero balance on them at all times, as much as possible.  On November 13th (2 days ago), I paid off my chase credit card balance (~$1800 in honeymoon expences)... On November 9th, I put a down payment of $671 on my Chase card for a shed... for whatever reason, the down payment of $671 didn't hit my account until yesterday. No problem there. I sign on to pay it off, (statement ends today, so I was aiming to reflect a $0 balance again), but was denied because "I made a recent payment already."

So I call and simply ask what my balance is... the guy tells me, $671. I ask to pay it off, and he says no, lol. I ask if there's anyway he can override that odd rule, but he says they cannot.  He says I have to wait 3 days from my previous payment, which would be tomorrow.

This is no big deal, it won't affect me at all, but it sort of irritates me that they won't let me pay off my balance. I've never heard of being turned away when attempting to pay off a bill!

Is there any reason why they make you wait 3 days? My payment already cleared from my bank account, so they have my previous payment already from 2 days ago....

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Tried to make a payment, was told No? Why?

That is odd.

What did the CSR say?  Same thing?  No, cuz you already made a pmt?

Message 2 of 12
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Push the payment from your banks bill pay.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 12
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

i think your payments are to close together since how you just made a payment 2 days ago. I make like 3 to 4 payments a month with chase but, its a week apart from each payment. Thanks for the info its good to know just in case i actually did make a payment 2 days apart.

Message 4 of 12
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

This is a Chase policy. My guess this policy is there to make sure there is no credit card fraud or money laundering going on.

Message 5 of 12
djrez4
Established Contributor

I've bumped up against that too.  Chase requires a delay between payments.  I was trying to have a $0 balance report on the CSP this month but had charges pending.  it wouldn't let me pay more than the current balance and I couldn't make another payment when the new charges actually accrued.  Not a big deal, but annoying.

I can't push the payment from my bank account because it's all through Chase's system.

Chase did notify me recently that they have a new system they plan to roll out soon that will eliminate the delay between intiating a payment and having it credited.  Maybe that will solve the problem.  

Message 6 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

ACH clearinghouse usually takes 3 days.  They usually will allow you to "push" a payment from your bank though.  I guess its a risk limiting thing...  They don't want you to pay off a large amount with a ACH transfer, to recharge up the card again without being for sure that the funds will clear.

At least they credit the funds instead of putting a "hold payment" like Cap 1 does

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 12
Epcot
Valued Contributor

That new system would be nice.
I also experienced this a couple months ago. Made a payment the day before the statement cut. Left a small balance to report, tried again the day after statement generated and it would not let me pay. Had to wait a couple days.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 8 of 12
thom02099
Valued Contributor

+1 on the problem with Chase.

Ran into this as well, the 3 day wait period, not only for Chase but for my JP Morgan as well.  My own resolution is to ALWAYS make sure my balance is at zero regardless, 4 days prior to the payment due date, to give me some wiggle room

As a sidebar to this, I also ran into a problem with Wells Fargo, only allowing 2 payments a month...period.  They won't allow more than that, and are inflexible about it.  I did in fact "push" a payment through from my credit union, but it has taken 3 days for it to go through and I'm not completely sure it's gone through, since the WF site is not yet showing the payment.  This also resulted in my having a balance of $72 that I did not want to have, due to the due date approaching...and passing...before the pushed payment hit.  Another lesson learned.  No payment was required, just wanted to zero out my balance. 

Message 9 of 12
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

ACH clearinghouse usually takes 3 days.  They usually will allow you to "push" a payment from your bank though.  I guess its a risk limiting thing...  They don't want you to pay off a large amount with a ACH transfer, to recharge up the card again without being for sure that the funds will clear.

At least they credit the funds instead of putting a "hold payment" like Cap 1 does

Yep, that's exactly what it is. There is a fairly large amount of fraud done this way and has, for some banks, cost them more than the card's CL. While the vast majority of folks that pay like the OP are great customers and not fraudsters the financial impact of fraudsters trickles down.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.