cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger happy for CLI or Discover IT? What to do?

tag
tpmlls
New Contributor

Trigger happy for CLI or Discover IT? What to do?

So I have a little situation going on, more of an internal power struggle. I have a Chase Freedom that I have had since December 2012 and have a limit of $1,500. I have made several payments of $75.00, $50.00, and so on, multiple times per month. I now have a balance of around $950.00 on the card, but am in no HUGE rush to PIF because I have 0% APR for another 12 months. I will be making larger payments soon, just to get the balance down a bit soon, but I want to use the card a lot to obtain a CLI. I have some trips coming up and I want to have the charges put on my Chase card, but I have not had the card long at all, and I know they want to see good payment history. I am wondering if it is too soon to ask for an increase, even though I have been making several payments and using the card to take advantage of the 5% cash back on gas, etc.... My other problem is that I have seen a LOT of people being approved for the Discover It card, and I have a super itchy trigger finger for it, but I do not want to waste an inquiry since I have been in the garden for a little over 2 months. I do not know if I should try and apply for the It card, since my scores are all around the 680 mark, or ask for a CLI from Chase. I would appreciate any and all tips, ideas, or comments in general. Is the Discover It card really nice to have?? Also, my income has only gone up about 2k in the past year, so nothing substantial, but my wife and I have joint accounts except for credit cards, so does that improve my chances of getting a CLI from Chase? Can I put down more annual income since I have dual income?

Thank you in advance and sorry for the scatterbrain thoughts!!!  Credit improvement can drive a sane person mad!!!

Wes

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
andre181
Established Contributor

Re: Trigger happy for CLI or Discover IT? What to do?

Requesting a CLI from Chase will always result in a HP. 

So CLI from Chase or app for Discover IT will both result in an HP, so you must decide which would be better. 

My guess is that if you get an IT, the CL on that card would be larger than the amount of a CLI that Chase would give you. So apping for IT might be more beneficial.

Personally, I love Discover and dislike Chase, so I am a bit biased, but I'd say apply for Discover.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 2 of 11
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

I say go for a Discover It card. The Chase Freedom competes with Discover It, so having both may make them compete for your business.
Message 3 of 11
tpmlls
New Contributor

Do you know what kind of a score range Discover is looking for? How about the recon process if I were denied? I appreciate the opinions guys!!

Message 4 of 11
john398
Senior Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:
I say go for a Discover It card. The Chase Freedom competes with Discover It, so having both may make them compete for your business.

is there anyway for Chase to know if you have a Discover IT or Discover More

Message 5 of 11
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Maybe not specifically the card, but they could tell if you have a Discover account when they pull your reports!
Message 6 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

I'd go with the Discover card.  Unless something big has changed Chase isn't likely to give you a CLI equivelent to the CL Discover will give you. 

Message 7 of 11
elpo9
Regular Contributor

You'll have better luck getting a larger, new line with Discover than an increase with Chase. They're notoriously terrible for increases on new accounts, like you mentioned. Plus as others said, Discover will be more than happy to compete with Chase! Smiley Happy Good luck and let us know what happens...

NFCU (7000) | Freedom Visa (2400) | DM (2500) | AMEX Plat (7000) | Amazon.com (1800) | GapCard ($750) | Closed: Barclays (1500) | Cap1 ($750) | BoA 1-2-3 Rewards (2500) | Gardening til mid-autumn 2015 for that Delta Platinum AMEX

Starting Score: 608 (2015) 702 (2012), 653 (2011)
Current Score: 685 699 8/6/11 717 8/30/11 712 12/6/11 714 across the board 1/12/12 685 EX FICO 3/1/14
2018 Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
tpmlls
New Contributor

Message 9 of 11
tpmlls
New Contributor

I worry that if I am declined for the It card, that Chase will not approve me for a CLI in a month or two. Any ideas if a 685 score is good enough for the Discover It? I'm just so conflicted at the moment. I want to apply, then I don't, then I do, it really is driving me up the wall!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.