cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip to Hawaii in June - Can it be free?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Trip to Hawaii in June - Can it be free?

@enharu wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Sorry my partner will be getting the new credit this spree Smiley Happy

Ah I see.

Which island(s) are you guys headed to?

Do you guys have a hotel chain preference? Some of the hotels are really nice, but some are mediocre. For instance I wouldn't recommend you wasting those hyatt certs on the Hyatt hotels in Hawaii except for the Andaz in Maui.

we know none of this yet.

cancun could be option too but right now leaning Hawaii.

we don't travel enough to have hotel rewards in any sizable amount but the marriott seems promising

Message 11 of 20
enharu
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Ah I see.

Do you guys have a hotel chain preference? Some of the hotels are really nice, but some are mediocre. For instance I wouldn't recommend you wasting those hyatt certs on the Hyatt hotels in Hawaii except for the Andaz in Maui.

we know none of this yet.

cancun could be option too but right now leaning Hawaii.

we don't travel enough to have hotel rewards in any sizable amount but the marriott seems promising

marriott has a 70k online offer that is still active. CS posted the link before as well. 

Best to go on your spree relatively soon if you plan to stay at Marriott. The devaluation goes into effect for bookings made after April 8th 2014. A lot of hotels in popular destinations are going up 1 category. 

I think the 140k ritz promo has expired, but you can always give it a try as well. The Ritz in Kapalua is about to become a RC5 category hotel as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 20
chfenton
Established Member

You can do it, just may need to be flexible on dates.  In the past 25 years I have obtained over 30 first class tickets to Hawaii from American and Delta thanks to points.  Build up points on a Hotel reward program and a rental car loyalty program and you can have essentially the entire trip paid for.

Message 13 of 20
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Ah I see.

Really? I would think that the Grand Hyatt on Kauai would be a good use.

You could also go for the Citi Hhonors Reserve, and use the two free night certs at the Waldorf Astoria on Maui, the Grand Wailea.

Message 14 of 20
enharu
Super Contributor

@msf12555 wrote:

You could also go for the Citi Hhonors Reserve, and use the two free night certs at the Waldorf Astoria on Maui, the Grand Wailea.

that hotel is nice too but it's relatively cheaper. the redemption value isn't going to be as good.

i stayed there once and didn't really like it though. felt a bit too much like a village, but that's just me.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 20
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@msf12555 wrote:

that hotel is nice too but it's relatively cheaper. the redemption value isn't going to be as good.

i stayed there once and didn't really like it though. felt a bit too much like a village, but that's just me.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, the Andaz is definitely a different feel.

Message 16 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Hawaii or Puerto Vallarta?

Is PV safe?

I read more all inclusive resorts in PV?

Message 17 of 20
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

Is PV safe?

I can't say for sure about the safety, but do free night certs work at all inclusive places?

Message 18 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@msf12555 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Is PV safe?

I can't say for sure about the safety, but do free night certs work at all inclusive places?

I have not really fully looked into either beyond some flights but I was reading on one of the blogs (before the change in point redemptions) that you could stay at a hilton or a hyatt on inclusive for like 40k but not sure if that was just 2 nights or 4 nights or...

Message 19 of 20
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I checked the Hilton site for their free certs, and it said the following all inclusives aren't eligible:

All Inclusive Properties:
DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Central Pacific -Costa Rica
Hilton Bodrum Turkbuku Resort & Spa
Hilton Dalaman Sarigerme Resort & Spa
Hilton Hurghada Long Beach Resort
Hilton Hurghada Plaza Hotel
Hilton Marsa Alam Nubian Resort
Hilton Nuweiba Coral Resort
Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa
Hilton Puerto Vallarta
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hilton Sharks Bay Resort

So if there is an all inclusive that isn't on that list, it sounds good to go.

The Hyatt says the following:

Each Free Night Award is valid for use within one year from issuance for one (1) night in any available standard room at any Hyatt Hotel or Resort worldwide

So that sounds good anywhere.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.