Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble confirming identity with Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trouble confirming identity with Chase

Have you guys ever had trouble with Chase confirming your identity? Allow me to explain my issue, about a month ago I applied for a Chase freedom card and after waiting for a week I received a letter asking me to confirm my source of income by mailing them two pay stubs or last years tax information. I mailed the check stubs and have now waited three weeks. I just now called to check on my status and they told me that I had been approved for a card with $1,500 limit but that I need to mail them a copy of my social security card and a bill that had my address on it. I don't mind jumping through a few hoops, especially for a chase freedom card but I've never had any other credit company do me this way, not even AmEx.

P.S. I'm 20 so perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I'm not yet 21... I don't know.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Re: Trouble confirming identity with Chase

i had the same issue with identity confirmation, I waited almost a month till I got approved, I applied at the branch with a personal banker I confirmed my identity over the phone the first time I called but they denied me because I didnt electronically consent to the terms because I was under 21 so they sent me a letter to sign and mail back I did that and I was approved once they received the letter and processed it. Chase is big on trying to detect fraud.

amazon
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just moved to a new place and applied for a chase card. Had it within 5 days of sending the app. I would not send a copy of my ss card through the mail to ANYONE. I'd be pissed if I were you. You've done more than enough.
Message 3 of 13
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

yeah dont send anything call the backdoor number and ask if you can confirm your identity over the phone they can ask verification questions based on your credit report.

amazon
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the opinions, I agree with you Hotcakes, I don't like the idea of sending my SS card through the mail. I will take the advice and call the back door number to see if maybe I can get something done that way.

Message 5 of 13
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

...and they told me that I had been approved for a card with $1,500 limit but that I need to mail them a copy of my social security card and a bill that had my address on it. I don't mind jumping through a few hoops, especially for a chase freedom card but I've never had any other credit company do me this way, not even AmEx.

P.S. I'm 20 so perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I'm not yet 21... I don't know.

Are you kidding me? 

They only want to verify your identity.  What's wrong with that?

"I've never had any other credit company do me this way"?  C'mon.  They should do more, like in making sure you can pay the tab.

Jeesh.

No disrespect intended, but this sense of entitlement is just amazing to me.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The "entitlement" comes from being the customer. People forget that around here. the card companies are still here to serve us, and if ones going to make me jump through a bunch of hoops just for the privilege of using their card, I'll just use someone elses. The ss card is a ridiculous request. If you can't get chase to work it out at a local branch, I'd tell them to close the account.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uborrow-Upay it's not a matter of entitlement. I'm happy that they are taking the extra step in confirming the identity of their costumers, perhaps more company's should do the same. That being said, I just wanted to settle it over the phone, but after calling the back door number they said they still required the information on hand so this time the gave me a Fax number. I suppose I'm going to find someone with a fax and send the information that way; I simply didn't want to drop my ss card in the mail and hope for the best.

Message 8 of 13
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Uborrow-Upay it's not a matter of entitlement. I'm happy that they are taking the extra step in confirming the identity of their costumers, perhaps more company's should do the same. That being said, I just wanted to settle it over the phone, but after calling the back door number they said they still required the information on hand so this time the gave me a Fax number. I suppose I'm going to find someone with a fax and send the information that way; I simply didn't want to drop my ss card in the mail and hope for the best.

I hear you.  And I truly appreciate the fact that you are proactive in protecting your personal information.  (I'm one of the poster children for that). 

All I'm saying is ... somebody wants to borrow money from me, I'm going to make d*mn sure I know who that person is, whether he/she likes it or not, or no deal.  That's required by me, the lender...but compliance is up to the borrower. 

Message 9 of 13
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The "entitlement" comes from being the customer. People forget that around here. the card companies are still here to serve us, and if ones going to make me jump through a bunch of hoops just for the privilege of using their card, I'll just use someone elses. The ss card is a ridiculous request. If you can't get chase to work it out at a local branch, I'd tell them to close the account.

My father used to tell me, "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know!"  As the years go by, I realize he was right.

The OP is not a customer, but he/she desires to be one.

Kinda like when Somebody goes into a restaurant, and the sign says, "No shoes, no shirt, no service".

Somebody is wearing nothing but a thong,  and Somebody tells the manager that he/she is demanding his/her rights as a "customer". 

I don't think the manager will mind if Somebody patronizes the place down the street.  He'll probably encourage it, and sometimes forcibly.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.