Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Amex

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

Trouble with Amex

In reading the boards I see some folks have been able to contact Amex after an old BK and get their account reinstated assuming there was nothing charged off. When I call the regular CSR number, I asked to be xferred to credit. Before I was, however, the CSR was able to pull the old account I got to credit, and the woman I spoke with couldn't find the account, and that I should just "apply and see what happens"...I know what will happen I'll just get declined. Any thoughts ? FICO 675
About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trouble with Amex

@n777ua wrote:
In reading the boards I see some folks have been able to contact Amex after an old BK and get their account reinstated assuming there was nothing charged off. When I call the regular CSR number, I asked to be xferred to credit. Before I was, however, the CSR was able to pull the old account I got to credit, and the woman I spoke with couldn't find the account, and that I should just "apply and see what happens"...I know what will happen I'll just get declined. Any thoughts ? FICO 675

I don't think, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that Amex will reopen an old closed account. What they will do is open a new account, and "backdate" the opening date to the year of your original card, and the current month. So, for example, if your original Amex was opened in January of 1990 and you open a new account today, your card can be backdated to June, 1990. BUT, that's if Amex can still find your old account in their systems.

How long ago did you open your Amex account? When was your BK discharged? Is it still on your reports? Did you include Amex in your BK?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi n777ua and welcome!

Glad you're here and posting!

According to one of your recent posts, your AmEx was IIB, did I understand that correctly?

That will make a difference and I believe they do have a program for folks that have hurt them in the past.  Knowledgeable folks will chime in on that and give you some helpful info.

By any chance, do you have your old AmEx account number or card?

Message 3 of 10
n777ua
Established Contributor

Discharged in '04 BK included Ames b/c I was told i had to listall debtors,however there was no balance. The account was just closed. The account was opened in Dec 03 I believe The BK is no longer on my TU, report still on EQ and EX
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, good.

I'm just clarifying here, because it will help folks give you the best feedback for your situation.  And I know there's other folks with BK's who are interested in AmEx.

So, in your previous post you mentioned, "I had a BK in Sep '04; current FICO around 670.  Does anyone know what AMEX's underwriting rules are on new accounts with a past BK (a charge account not revolving).  When I BK'd in '04, it unfortunately did include a green card with $800 bal."

Did you mean $800 balance or $800 CL?

I'm assuming here that AmEx will handle accounts differently if there was an AmEx balance IIB, but I could be wrong. 

Message 5 of 10
n777ua
Established Contributor

Sorry for the mixup, I meant CL. It was a charge card, but they did put a spending limit on it.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for a green a couple of year ago ........ rejected.

Again last year .......... rejected.

Two weeks ago ............ approved.

All apps done online.

My relevant history:

BK7 10/2002.  According to the free reports this will come off 2/12.

Amex CO sometime in 2002.  $1100?  Something like that.  Called in several years later to pay it off but it had already been CO'd and they didn't want to mess with it.

creditkarma 655, creditsesame 714 last month.  And these I checked AFTER being approved for the Amex, as curiosity got a hold of me lol.

My most recent late payment is 4 years old.  Apparently I had not set up autopay and forgot that month.  Some little double digit balance haha.

When I signed in again online it said member since 2000, which is accurate.  My new card said member 11 (2011).  I called in yesterday and requested a card with 00 on it.  It'll be here in "9-12 days" Smiley Happy

Haven't heard a peep about the past situation.

Message 7 of 10
Tazman81
Established Contributor

My experience with them is that I have not been able to get approved with the bankruptcy showing and a young lady from the president's office that I've spoken with has said I need to wait until the bankruptcy falls off of my report.

I had a chapter 7 discharged in January 2009.  I included a $800 balance for AMEX.  Well, they are willing to give me a secured card if I pay the $800 I included in bankruptcy and put down $10k as collateral for the secured card.  She said the only other option would be to wait until the bankruptcy is no longer on my credit report, repay the restitution and then apply for a normal card.  She told me that at this time, a bankruptcy (even without AMEX being included) is an automatic disqualifier and she does not forsee that changing any time soon.

Now of course there have been other experiences where some people with recent bankrupticies showing have gotten in, so this is just my experience, not necessarily the rule.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 8 of 10
n777ua
Established Contributor

I appreciate everyone's responses so far, but I go back to my original question. Was the woman in credit mistaken when she told me to just apply again, and why couldn't she find my account when a regular CSR could. I'm asking to speak to someone in the "credit department", is there someone else I should be asking to speak with ?
Message 9 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@n777ua wrote:
I appreciate everyone's responses so far, but I go back to my original question. Was the woman in credit mistaken when she told me to just apply again, and why couldn't she find my account when a regular CSR could. I'm asking to speak to someone in the "credit department", is there someone else I should be asking to speak with ?

What do you mean was she mistaken when she told you to apply again?  Are you still asking about getting your account reinstated?  Do you mean will you be automatically denied because of the BK?  Both of those questions seem to be addressed above.  I'm not sure what additional followup you are asking for.

As to why she couldn't find your account, that seems like a mistake.  I had a problem with a CSR locating an old account of mine for backdating purposes, but the account was closed in 1998 and I didn't have the account number.  I was told they had done some sort of migration of data from an old system and they couldn't locate it using my SSN.  In any event, your acount was closed more recently and one CSR was already able to find it, so it sounds like they shouldn't have an issue.  But if you run into the problem again, there is a number that appears on your Experian report that is a psuedo-account number.  If you have a copy of your full Experian report from annualcreditreport.com, you should be able to give them that number and they can find the account.  You might have to try a few different people because the first few reps I spoke with told me they didn't know what that number was for and assured me it wasn't an Amex number (it's not 15 digits like their account numbers).  But eventually they found it.

Still, even if they find it, what is it you want them to do.  As stated above, they are not likely to re-open the account.  There are very few lenders that will do that, and generally only if there has been some mistake that resulted in account closure and you contact them very soon afterward.  You almost always have to reapply.  The good thing with Amex is that your new account can have your original member date.  But whether you will be approved is hard to say for sure.  In that sense, the person in the credit department was correct, you'll just have to apply again.

ETA:  You may want to search around or solicit additional advice specifcally with respect to backdating and BK.  When I was trying to get my card backdated, they did locate a corporate card that I used to have which wasn't quite as old but would have gotten me back to 2001.  However, when I quit that job, I apparently left a small (~$5) balance on the card and I never got the bill as it went to my office address.  It was sent to collections and then it found its way to me and I paid it. When looking at the account, they told me that it was ineligible for backdating because it had been sent to collections.  I don't know if there is any rule about not backdating for an account that was included in a BK.  Maybe worth looking into.  Of course, a member just recently reported getting their card backdated when their original account was charged off and they never paid the charge off.  So whatever the "rule," YMMV.   

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.