Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying for AMEX

tag
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

Trying for AMEX

This is my first time registering/posting. I've been reading/monitoring the myfico forum boards for some time when searching for answers to credit related questions. I'll try to keep it concise. I want an AMEX but not just any AMEX I really want a Gold AMEX with hopes of a Platinum someday. I currently have a TU of 699 and EX of 734 but that was with CU of 35%. Not sure about EQ. I now have below 10% CU. I had high utilization at Christmas. I did pull all three credit reports recently and all three are clean with only 1 bad...a satisfied judgement for medical bills from almost two years ago paid in full as of 3/13. I have two auto loans(Chase and Wells Fargo). CC's are as follows: Walmart $800, CreditOne Visa $650, PayPal Smartconnect $2,400, Orchard Visa $300, BarclaysNFL Visa $500, Kohl's $1,000, CapOne Rewards MC $500, Target $200, CapOne Platinum MC $300, BillMeLater $800. Always pay early, never late on any accounts and always pay more than what's due. I had been very irresponsible with credit at an early age. All of those stupid mistakes are gone now and no traces are left on credit reports. Other than my car loans which show a few years of payments most of my credit is fairly new. 1 CapOne is 1.5 years, Kohls 1.5 years, SmartConnect is 1 year, Orchard 1 year and the rest are less than 6 months. All CC apps were approved but with low CL's. Kohl's started at $300 now at $1k, SmartConnect started at $800 now at $2.4k, CreditOne started at $500 now at $650 and Walmart started at 500 now at $800. 6 of these accounts were opened within the last 6 months. Well, maybe not as concise as originally intended but thought it would be better to get the facts out there if I want educated/informed advice. As an afterthought, I make about $70k a year pre-tax. Including wife's income our combined pre-tax household income is $95k. Advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, hope to hear from someone. Thanks in advance for your input.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Trying for AMEX

APPLY NOW... If you want and can afford the Platinum, apply for that... you should have instant APPROVAL!

Message 2 of 19
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

Thanks for the response. You really think it'll be that easy? No one's been knocking on my door with pre-approved offers ex: Chase, Citi, AMEX, etc...
Message 3 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Amex gives out Charge Cards like Candy! My roomate got a green! Last score he knew was a 605, few years back I had a friend get GOLD with a 645 which I pulled from here TU prior to him applying and Amex pulled a double on him EX and TU... usually they pull just EX.

Id say go for it.... If you are REALLY REALLY worried although I don't think any difference apply for the Gold Plus or what not and if instantly approved go back and apply for the Platinum but in the past we have seen people do green because they thought and were worried they woulnd't get platinum and in the end of 15 minutes, had green, gold, and platinum!

Amex wants $450 way more than $95!

Message 4 of 19
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

Thanks for the advice.
Message 5 of 19
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

Anyone else with an opinion/advice?
Message 6 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If Amex is the one card you have left that you want which would leave your other cards in the dust for the most part then what's another INQ if you don't get it.... but really you have some cards that are harder to get then an Amex Charge (Surprising as that sounds!)

Message 7 of 19
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

Examples?
Message 8 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@nvrgvupnvrsrndr wrote:
Examples?

Chase and Wells Fargo

Why don't you go to creditcards.com and try the pre-approval.... My partner got "Exclusive Offers" for Amex and what ever they call other offers from other banks... the Amex ended up being instant.

Message 9 of 19
nvrgvupnvrsrndr
Contributor

Chase and Wells Fargo are my auto loans. I've never applied for CC's with them.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.