Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Get a Card w/ No Credit

tag
RyeBread
Established Member

Trying to Get a Card w/ No Credit

So, my girlfriend is looking for a credit card, something small to start out with, and she's asking for my help. :3

Any suggestions? I'm thinking that the Discover IT Student would be a good choice for her as she's in college, but she doesn't have any loans out in her name. Only a cable bill.

Maybe the Cap1 Secured MasterCard?

~Rye

Current Score: EQ (Citi FICO) (3/23): 831, EX (Amex FICO) (4/23): 820, TU (Discover): 800

~$138k total CL, ~1% utilized
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to Get a Card w/ No Credit

Does she have an income?

I agree with the Discover Student or even a Walmart card. Walmart might start her out with a small CL but they are very generous with CLI. Besides, she will get a free TU FICO score every month so she can track her score.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 2 of 8
RENATO1

Best deal is topen a secured card with her own money for about $200 at any bank or credit union. After 6 months she will probably get an unsecured with Orchard Bank or a credit union. I prefer a credit union. She needs to join creditkarma.com to see how her credit score is moving.

Message 3 of 8
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

Capital One gave me my first credit card when I had a very limited credit history and it was unsecured too so I'd recommend them.

If not then like mentioned, a secured card would probably be her best option.

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 4 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have been seeing Discover will give first credit card

Message 5 of 8
RENATO1

Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
RENATO1

It's a surprise. Didn't know discover can be a start up. He still needs to creditkarma first to see the whole picture. You never know.

Message 7 of 8
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Discover was my very first credit card. It was the normal Discover More card, not the student or anything like that.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.