cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Understand Upcoming Interest to Pay...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to Understand Upcoming Interest to Pay...

Hey there, guys.

As I'm sure some of you remember, my mother is now injured and jobless, which led me to having to over-extend myself and pay for some of her bills. Unfortunately, I'm also coming to the end of my intro APR (Dec 6th) for my Freedom, and I've got about 1200 left to pay off. I can currently make $200 payments at most, and I've already stopped using the card altogether to pay things down, so I've come to terms with the fact that I'll be paying interest. I'm trying to understand how interest will be calculated after my 0% ends.

From my understanding, the way in which interest is calculated is often on the statements. My recent statement says that the introductory APR (0%) applies to my full balance. It then says that my APR (22.99%) applies to $0. It doesn't say anything about needing to pay interest from my very first charge, and I haven't been able to find this in my cardmember agreement. However, it's my understanding that some cards do this.

Chase now does Blueprint with Freedom as well, so if they do do such a thing, I could pay off certain larger, older charges so that I don't need to pay interest on those, if that is the case. If you've ever held a balance beyond the 0% on the Freedom, I would love to know what happened. Did the non-introductory APR begin applying on the date after the 0% ran out, or did it apply to the date in which your card was opened? Any help with this wold be heavily appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to Understand Upcoming Interest to Pay...

Sorry for bumping, but it reached 2nd page, and I really would love help for this. Thank you.
Message 2 of 6
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I believe the 22.99 will apply to any current balance once it begins.
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 3 of 6
Jahmakan
Valued Member

I agree with Icyhot.  I think that whole "interest being charged from the beginning of a promo period" situation comes into play when you finance a purchase.  With a card in this described scenario, I think it charges interest on the balance at the time the promo ends. 

Message 4 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry for bumping, but it reached 2nd page, and I really would love help for this. Thank you.

Please do not bump threads.  You need to give any discussion forum site time for responses.  If you need a more immediate response then a discussion forum is the wrong tool for the job.

The Freedom, as your terms (where you'll find your answers) indicate, does not retroactively charge interest once the intro 0% offer expires.  You'll accrue interest when the offer expires.

Message 5 of 6
icyhot
Valued Contributor

What's wrong with bumping the thread if nobody answered and it's hit second page?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.