cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to boost score, Should I open a discover card to increase utilization ?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Trying to boost score, Should I open a discover card to increase utilization ?

@Anonymous wrote:

lol on the deeply primitive website !! Man was it hard navigating through that thing !

Wait until you're a member, and you're on the accounts page! Smiley Tongue For some reason, the CC account doesn't display with the checking/ savings/ loans, and you have to click a link to make it display as well. When I pay on line, I have to write down the balance amount or chant it continually under my breath, because it doesn't display on the payment screen. (I'm paying from my outside bank.)

They made the mistake of offering me an online survey about their site, and I jumped all over it. Basically, I praised the CU (and the gas card!) to the skies, but I told them that they needed to get an employee who also has USAA to let them look at its site, and see what smooth navigation is all about.

I did the same with AmEx. I'd say that by now, I'm on the don't-survey-HER fecal chart! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 12
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Trying to boost score, Should I open a discover card to increase utilization ?

I am not a big fan of getting new credit to lower util (IMHO).

A10k Discover card will still have your util at 20% which is still too high.  You will also get a hit for the INQ and new account.

If you can, paying down the balance is a better plan.  If you can get your util to 9%, you should see a boost to TU and EX scores.  Also if you have more then 1 card reporting a balance, try to lower that to 1 or 2.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.