Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to build my credit.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to build my credit.

Just turned 18, I had a family member open a few accoutnts in my name and let them get sent to collections..

I have called and gotten a few of them taken care of my score was at 250. And now IM up to a score of 490....

I been attempting to apply for many store card with no luck.. I have attempted the following store cards

Target, Kay jeweler's, and Best Buy.

What are more good options to try IM not looking for a big line of credit.. IM not expecting anything higher then $300 anyways, 

thanks in advance for any advice 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Trying to build my credit.

you wont get approved for anythibg right now other than a secured card.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 5
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just turned 18, I had a family member open a few accoutnts in my name and let them get sent to collections..

I have called and gotten a few of them taken care of my score was at 250. And now IM up to a score of 490....

I been attempting to apply for many store card with no luck.. I have attempted the following store cards

Target, Kay jeweler's, and Best Buy.

What are more good options to try IM not looking for a big line of credit.. IM not expecting anything higher then $300 anyways, 

things don't add up, you just turned 18 and you got things already in collections? Collections takes about 6 months of non-payment, and also the Fico score range is from 300-850 if you have a 250 I don't know what to say?? besides CARD act makes it so you have to prove income if your applying for a credit card under 21 years old so it's not something people should easily be able to pull off under your name. Post 1 troll?

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 5
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's a few things you need to do :

1. Pull your Credit Report. 
  2. Point out all the Collection Account ( Paid and not PAid )
     a. Paid Account: Check and see if they already delete from your credit report. Sent them Good Will letter ask to remove from your credit report.                                          b. Not Paid : Sent them PFD ( paid for delete ) google for some sample and make it your own.
  3. Ask some of your family member add you as authorize user on their long credit card account. Its will improve your score a lil bit.
  4. Dont apply for anything else until you get all the negative account remove from your credit report.
  5. After doing all this you would see your score improve about another 50 to 100 points. Wait till your score get to somewhere around 550 to low 600"
  6. After your credit score increase till 600. Went to your local bank( whoever you bank with ) and ask them if they can get you some credit card product. If they turn you down ask for their unsecured credit cards ( which you had to deposit anywhere from $300 to $3000 and then they offer you their CC product. OR go to Credit Union and ask for the same thing ( Remember you only do this step until your score improve from 50 to 100 points from now. )
  7. By doing all this, 6 months to 1 year from now you would get 2 or 3 credit cards on your own. Don't Screw them up. Dont even think about using it. Maybe just swipe them 1 per months and then paid if Full. After your new account report for 6 months you would see your score improve a lots.
  8. Don't ever let anyone open CC, credit line or anything in your name. You should learn your lesson from now. Anw....you still young, its a long way to go. Fix them up and rebuild them again.........
  9. Join credit check total dot com. and Fico Score Watch. They offer $10 for credit monitor and you also get unlimited pull ( Good for people on rebuilding) you know what add up and what had been delete. 
  10. Good Luck and dont Give Up ^_^

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 5
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1 to all

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.