cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to close and Upgraded instead! WooW!

tag
jennylocha
Regular Contributor

Trying to close and Upgraded instead! WooW!

So since I've gotten $13,800 worth of new credit from Chase/Barclays within the past few days, I went online to see about which of my many store cards deserved to be closed today. I have a few under the $1000 CL so I wanted to start with those first including Credit One. However, when I logged on to my TJMaxx Store Card, I was welcomed with an upgrade offer! The store card had a CL of $600 and after I accepted the Mastercard Upgrade it went to $2000!!! I'm so closing the others! No more of these crazy store cards for me, I am rolling with the big boys now and LOVING IT!!!

WoooOOOOHoooOOOO!!!

Current Score: TU 671 / EQ 675 / EX 682
Goal Score: 700 Club Across the board!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to close and Upgraded instead! WooW!

lol..... congrats! Why are you thinking about closing your store cards? Don't you want to keep that good credit mix?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 20
brianjb
Contributor

I am new to this forum.  Does it hurt you to have store cards open?  I have AMEX and USAA Visa.  But I also have lots of store cards.  Just curious as to why you want to close them?

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 3 of 20
jennylocha
Regular Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

lol..... congrats! Why are you thinking about closing your store cards? Don't you want to keep that good credit mix?

I just have too many and although they are all at $0 balance, I just wanted to trim down some.....What do you guys think? Is that a bad strategy? Should I just leave them open?? What about Credit One?? Please help me if I'm doing something wrong, Thank you.

Message 4 of 20
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@brianjb wrote:

I am new to this forum.  Does it hurt you to have store cards open?  I have AMEX and USAA Visa.  But I also have lots of store cards.  Just curious as to why you want to close them?

It does not hurt to have store cards open.... They help your aaoa as well as utilization percentage. Still, if you are never going to use them then the store may close the card for non use....On your credit report, it looks better if a card is closed by the consumer rather than the issuer...But most stores won't close cards if you use them every few months.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 5 of 20
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Congrats jenny! Thats one of the gret things about TJ Maxx, ON, AE and Wal Mart. Congrats on your new MC!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 20
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@jennylocha wrote:

So since I've gotten $13,800 worth of new credit from Chase/Barclays within the past few days, I went online to see about which of my many store cards deserved to be closed today. I have a few under the $1000 CL so I wanted to start with those first including Credit One. However, when I logged on to my TJMaxx Store Card, I was welcomed with an upgrade offer! The store card had a CL of $600 and after I accepted the Mastercard Upgrade it went to $2000!!! I'm so closing the others! No more of these crazy store cards for me, I am rolling with the big boys now and LOVING IT!!!

WoooOOOOHoooOOOO!!!

I have been doing the same thing closing some of my store cards that don't get me anything fo haveing it.

Message 7 of 20
jennylocha
Regular Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

@brianjb wrote:

It does not hurt to have store cards open.... They help your aaoa as well as utilization percentage. Still, if you are never going to use them then the store may close the card for non use....On your credit report, it looks better if a card is closed by the consumer rather than the issuer...But most stores won't close cards if you use them every few months.

I will still have some that remain open, but the JCPenny, Toys R Us, Gap....etc.....Sometimes I think that I went over board with store cards. Plus the APRs are disgusting!

Message 8 of 20
jennylocha
Regular Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Congrats jenny! Thats one of the gret things about TJ Maxx, ON, AE and Wal Mart. Congrats on your new MC!

Thanks BearsandTurtles! I feel like taking on my husband's car loan under my name (mine is in his tho! LOL) helped me show a mixture of credit and then everything was history after that. I am literally getting offered nice deals every which way now because of that, not to mention I didn't acquire a crazy amount of inquiries from the car loan like some people have experienced. I just went to the credit union that I am a member of and they did the rest! So cool though!

Message 9 of 20
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

At the end of the day, you have to do what is right for you Jenny. Just make sure that you think about the consequences ahead of time (ie the lower available credit, which changes your util.). I only have one store card myself, so take that fwiw.

My Wallet:
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.