Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to decide between Citi Diamond and Citi Thank You

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Trying to decide between Citi Diamond and Citi Thank You

I'm going to be emerging from garden mode in the not too distant future, and I'm working on finalizing the list of cards that I want to try for. I do know that I would like to have a Citi card in my wallet. Ideally, I'd like a prime MC, because the BoA and WF cards that I'm looking at are both Visas. But, I received an invitation to app for a Citi Thank You, which is also a Visa. Last year, I received an offer to apply for the Diamond Preferred, but was declined due to derogs. I've been waiting patiently for the CA/COs to fall off of all of my reports, and I'm almost there.

So, my question is this... which card has the more difficult approval criteria? If I have the invite to apply for the Thank You, but cold app for the Diamond Preferred instead, would I be less likely to be approved?

And yes, I realize that the Diamond Preferred doesn't have any rewards per se. But, I have rewards on my Amex and Cap1 MC, and the Visa cards I'll be apping for have rewards. At this point, I'm just looking for a MC to have in my portfolio that will grow with me, even if it doesn't have rewards.

Thoughts, please???

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Trying to decide between Citi Diamond and Citi Thank You

No Chase Freedom Mastercard?

Although I DO realize you said you want a card that'll grow with you.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 12
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@FrugalRican wrote:

No, I'm afraid not. Providian and I had some unpleasantness when my credit went to pieces 7-8 years ago, in the aftermath of being hit by two hurricanes. Since WaMu bought the accounts, and Chase eventually bought them, I don't think that I'll be in Chase's good graces. I've read that they've been very unforgiving towards people who had problems with Providian/WaMu accounts. No point in wasting an inq.

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

AFAIK, the diamond preferred is a cash rewards card.  Either of the citi cards you are looking at can be obtained with an EMV chip, which is the future of credit card transactions.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 12
tacaza
Valued Member

@tinuviel wrote:

I'm going to be emerging from garden mode in the not too distant future, and I'm working on finalizing the list of cards that I want to try for. I do know that I would like to have a Citi card in my wallet. Ideally, I'd like a prime MC, because the BoA and WF cards that I'm looking at are both Visas. But, I received an invitation to app for a Citi Thank You, which is also a Visa. Last year, I received an offer to apply for the Diamond Preferred, but was declined due to derogs. I've been waiting patiently for the CA/COs to fall off of all of my reports, and I'm almost there.

So, my question is this... which card has the more difficult approval criteria? If I have the invite to apply for the Thank You, but cold app for the Diamond Preferred instead, would I be less likely to be approved?

And yes, I realize that the Diamond Preferred doesn't have any rewards per se. But, I have rewards on my Amex and Cap1 MC, and the Visa cards I'll be apping for have rewards. At this point, I'm just looking for a MC to have in my portfolio that will grow with me, even if it doesn't have rewards.

Thoughts, please???

My EX FICO score was 737 and Citi gave me the Diamond Preferred with the lowest APR. I think you should have no problem getting the DP with your scores.   

Message 5 of 12
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

How about the Barclay Ring Card - is that an MC? Sorry, I do not remember...

That might be good as their interest rate is nice and low...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 6 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

No, I'm afraid not. Providian and I had some unpleasantness when my credit went to pieces 7-8 years ago, in the aftermath of being hit by two hurricanes. Since WaMu bought the accounts, and Chase eventually bought them, I don't think that I'll be in Chase's good graces. I've read that they've been very unforgiving towards people who had problems with Providian/WaMu accounts. No point in wasting an inq.

I would say after you go for what you want try it, maybe they'll be forgiving!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 12
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@tacaza wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

Thoughts, please???

My EX FICO score was 737 and Citi gave me the Diamond Preferred with the lowest APR. I think you should have no problem getting the DP with your scores.   

Thanks, that helps. At least I feel like I'm in the ballpark.

Message 8 of 12
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@RockinRay wrote:

How about the Barclay Ring Card - is that an MC? Sorry, I do not remember...

That might be good as their interest rate is nice and low...

Maybe... I'll look at that a little more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 9 of 12
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Often you can app for many cards as either visa or mc, but card issuer favors one over the other.  Go to mc website, often times can find link there to mc version of card you want.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.