cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to decide between Citi TY and Discover

tag
egzen75

Trying to decide between Citi TY and Discover

Been watching for a while and learned so much, so thank you all!

I'm trying to decide on a BT and 0%APR card. Have it narrowed down between Citi TY Preferred (found a link for 15 months) and Discover IT for 14 months.

Which should I go with and who will be more likely to match my highest CL?

Cards I currently have:

CSP

BCP

BofA Cash Rewards

Cap One 1.5% 

Best Buy Masrercard

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Trying to decide between Citi TY and Discover

@egzen75 wrote:

I'm trying to decide on a BT and 0%APR card. Have it narrowed down between Citi TY Preferred (found a link for 15 months) and Discover IT for 14 months.

Cards I currently have:

CSP

BCP

BofA Cash Rewards

Cap One 1.5% 

Best Buy Masrercard

if you need to do a BT, why not get the Citi Simplicity or Chase Slate?

Chase Slate will not work if the account you're trying to BT from is your CSP.

The Simplicity gives you 18-21 months 0% APR, depending on the promo. Chase Slate gives you 15 months 0% APR, but it also has 0 BT fee.

How much CL you get is dependent upon your CS, CR and income. What is your current utilization?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Neither would probably match your CL's. If you are thinking of doing a BT, I would look at Chase's Slate or Citi's Simplicity or Dia Preferred
Message 3 of 13
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

Don't go with Discover. They are stinky with low credit lines.
Message 4 of 13
egzen75

I thought it made sense to go for a card that would have some rewards and that I would want to keep and use after the promo period expired, thus my interest in the cards I mentioned as opposed to Slate and Simplicity. My highest CL is the CSP at $14K, I'm hoping to get a card to match or exceed that if possible.

My scores are 745-772

No baddies.

Income is close to 100k

Message 5 of 13
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

@egzen75 wrote:

Cards I currently have:

CSP

BCP

BofA Cash Rewards

Cap One 1.5% 

Best Buy Masrercard

You would probably have a better chance for a high CL with Citi. They seem to be more generous with CLs than Discover

At least that was my case. I applied for both a couple of months ago and got $4500 with CITI and $2000 with Discover.

Message 6 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

@egzen75 wrote:

I thought it made sense to go for a card that would have some rewards and that I would want to keep and use after the promo period expired, thus my interest in the cards I mentioned as opposed to Slate and Simplicity. My highest CL is the CSP at $14K, I'm hoping to get a card to match or exceed that if possible.

My scores are 745-772

No baddies.

Income is close to 100k

You can always ask for a product change after 12 months. That way, you are essentially keeping the card and the "new" card will have a rewards structure as well.

For instance, you can get the slate, and then PC it to the freedom afterwards.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 13
rlx01
Established Contributor

Get the Slate, once the promo ends, transfer CL to CSP or PC to Freedom.
Message 8 of 13
egzen75

Ok, great info! I didn't realize I could PC to a different card when the promo period was over. Slate -> Freedom sounds good but since I already have the CSP, wouldn't it make sense to go with Citi or Discover since I don't have any cards with the yet? Strategically, does it make sense to get another card with Chase or to go with a bank I don't have a relationship with yet. Won't Chase put a cap on the amount of credit they will extend to one person?

Message 9 of 13
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

If I was you I would go with Citi next. Do you have balances reported on your CR ?
Citi does not like when everything is paid off to $0. I was once denied for that reason.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.