Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to decide on a better credit card

tag
seiyafan
Valued Member

Re: Trying to decide on a better credit card

From my experience, converting from Everyday to Preferred is possible, but they don't give you the bonus offer. 

Message 21 of 29
Ancalagon
Established Member

Hmm $100 sign-up bonus for Preferred, so I'm $25 in the black right out of the gates.  By the time the next annual fee is due it'll be worth it.  I think I'll go with that one then.

...except their application link is down.  Looks like I'm waitiing until they fix their website problems.

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ancalagon wrote:

Hmm $100 sign-up bonus for Preferred, so I'm $25 in the black right out of the gates.  By the time the next annual fee is due it'll be worth it.  I think I'll go with that one then.

...except their application link is down.  Looks like I'm waitiing until they fix their website problems.

Actually you're up $100 right now.  Isn't the AF waived for the first year?

Message 23 of 29
TM82
Regular Contributor

I would hold onto the points on the Sapphire because if you transfer over to a FF program they're worth more than 1% cash back. 50,000 points may be able go net you 2 roundtrip tickets which can cost up to $1,000 in some instances.

I myself just keep it simple to Chase products but I also do my banking there so I get the 10% more points and 10 points per transaction. I have my se tup between me and my wife as

Sapphire Preferred
-All travel expenses (2x points)
-All dining over $10 (pretty much all joint food).
-All larger purchases where I would like some extra piece of mind (electronics)

Freedom
-All dining under $10
-All 5% categories
-All purchases that are Won't be returned (groceries).
-All sub $5 purchases. A $1 purchase nets an effective 10.1% cash back.

I also use the Chase Amazon card for all Amazon purchases. I'll spend anywhere from $50-250 on Amazon monthly.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 24 of 29
Ancalagon
Established Member

AMEX BCP is approved, $2,000 credit limit, should have within 3 business days. Haven't heard back from Chase.
Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOOHOO!

Congratulations!!!Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 29
Ancalagon
Established Member

How long does Chase usually take to approve or decline a Sapphire Preferred card?  And what kind of credit limit should I expect?  Depending on what credit limit they give me, assuming approval, I may need to do arrange some creative invoicing on the engagement ring -- charge portion, pay off with cash, charge portion, pay off with cash immediately, etc.

Message 27 of 29
Ancalagon
Established Member

Called Chase to verify what was up since I never got an email.  It was approved right off the bat apparently, they just hadn't emailed me anything.  $5,000 credit limit, which I'm very glad about, since it's high enough to cover the engagement ring.

Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double congrats in order! That is great news on the Chase CL. I am happy you have enough to put it all on one card (and get your sign up bonus)!!!!

Best of luck with your engagement. Exciting stuff.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.