Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to decide what to do....

tag
missgamecock
Contributor

Trying to decide what to do....

Ok, back in August, I got a car accident settlement and paid off almost all of my credit cards.  We had not so great credit. I have gone on apping sprees to get decent cards now.

Before we had:

Discover card platinum (joint) - 10.9% rate 13k limit (this was the only card we didn't pay off, I just transferred most of balance to a 0% card), 12 year account

Citicard (joint) - 14.9% rate (They did have us at a 28.99% default rate - never got a reason for the default rate but paid it off and refused to use it. Requested they lower the rate after it was paid off. They refused. I responded I was sock drawering the card till I got a better rate. They then responded with 14.9%) 4k limit. They would not increase limit (but gave me a new card, go figure). 8 year acct

These two cards I want to keep from before.

Other cards paid off but no longer used:

Hooters (me)- 5k, 0 balance (would keep for the credit line) - opened a little over a year ago.

Merrick Bank (dh)-  $750, 0 Balance, a couple of years old

Geico (dh) - $500, 0 balance, a couple of years old

Capital one (me) - $1200, 0 balance - They will not move up the credit line or drop rate. This card is about 10 years old.

Capital One (dh) - $750, 0 Balance - 1 year old.

New cards in the last few months -

BOA (dh)- 11,300, balance 6k (been on maternity leave and Christmas, will pay off asap) 0% interest.

Citicard (me)- 0% interest for 1 year, then 6.74% interest rate - Transferred most of balance from Discover to this one. 8300limit. 8k balance.

Chase (dh)- 7k limit, $2k balance (will be paid off in a couple of months). 0% interest. Will move rest of Discover card or pay off Discover card. 0 % interest for one year.

Chase (me)- 7k limit, 0 balance. 0% interest for 6 mos.

Then we have some gas and store cards. All at 0 balances. Will keep gas and store cards for specials.

So I am moving the discover card debt to 0%. Everything else is 0% interest. We are paying off christmas bills and usage during maternity leave. I'll be able to take over buying stuff in another 4-6 weeks when I deliver. On bedrest now.

We want to put our house up for sale but not kill our scores. Fakos are in the 700s for both of us.  So I want to close the capital one cards and merrick cards (will probably keep Hooters because of credit line). Will this kill our scores? Obviously, we are paying balances off asap. I have a bonus coming, dh has a bonus coming, taxes, and we are paying max to the cards each month (like 2k a month to pay them off). So I can pay everything but the citicard off right away. It's 0% interest anyway. Would it be wise to close those cards out and lose the time? It's kind of like we were swapping out subprime cards for prime cards. I am satisfied with our limits and interest rates on the new cards now. I am one of those people not hit by the credit crunch YET. Our jobs are stable as we are federal govt employees. I am still drawing a salary and will till I  go back to work. I am on paid leave right now.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to decide what to do....

Check out the sticked thread about Closing Credit Cards.

The immediate effect that might hurt your scores is utilization.  If you close cards and eliminate the credit limits, your utilization will go up.  The easy solution is wait until you pay off your debt.  Since you're hammering it aggressively and should have it paid off in a few months by the looks of it, you may just want to wait.

You won't miss the history/age of these accounts until they fall off your reports, probably 10 years from the time you close the account unless they have negative history.  I wouldn't worry about it if you don't need the cards.   If I understand correctly, you're still planning to hold some older accounts (Citi, Discover) so that should soften the blow down the road.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.