Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to decide when to apply for chase and amex

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Trying to decide when to apply for chase and amex

I agree with others - you are more than 6-9 mos in with a major cc. To be safe, you could wait until Cap 1 turns 1. In the meantime, you need to call Credit Solutions for you WalMart cc. That CL should be at least $2000.
Message 11 of 20
drewrico
New Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I agree with others - you are more than 6-9 mos in with a major cc. To be safe, you could wait until Cap 1 turns 1. In the meantime, you need to call Credit Solutions for you WalMart cc. That CL should be at least $2000.

Thanks for the advice guys, may wait a little longer to let my cap 1 get to 1 year old. is the phone number for credit solutions in the backdoor number thread?

Message 12 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 13 of 20
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

When you do app, my advice is hit up Chase first because they are inq sensitive.  They like to be first.  Plus they have a good recon department.  Be prepared to follow up the app with a phone call to their recon folks.

Then once that is done, go for whichever Amex suits you best. 

Good luck.  I agree with most of the other posters about getting that util down first of course. Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 14 of 20
HiLine
Blogger

And to the extent possible, apply for all the cards you want at the same time so the lenders will not detect the brand new inquiries. While waiting for the time to pull the trigger, I would suggest doing some research on this board and Google to find the cards you really want. Don't apply for cards you don't want - this has been said many times yet people still commit the same mistake.
Message 15 of 20
drewrico
New Contributor

@HiLine wrote:
And to the extent possible, apply for all the cards you want at the same time so the lenders will not detect the brand new inquiries. While waiting for the time to pull the trigger, I would suggest doing some research on this board and Google to find the cards you really want. Don't apply for cards you don't want - this has been said many times yet people still commit the same mistake.

i want the chase freedom and the blue cash everyday. or blue. so i think those are the two ill apply for. those are the ones i really want.

Message 16 of 20
drewrico
New Contributor

i think im going to wait maybe a month or two? and then pull the trigger. i dont know though.

Message 17 of 20
bribro
Valued Contributor

To be safe, my advice would be to wait until your Cap One cards hits the 1 year mark then apply for the AmEx blue revolver of your choice; that way your AAoA would be over 1 year long at that point too. The AmEx green would be even easier to qualify for, but if you don't want that card, don't apply for it.

I recommend AmEx before Freedom because it establishes your AmEx "Member Since" date this year and I think you have a good chance of approval right now given your light inquiry activity. You can apply for a Freedom card 3-6 months later; the 5% bonus categories aren't particularly exciting right now anyway.

@HiLine wrote:
And to the extent possible, apply for all the cards you want at the same time so the lenders will not detect the brand new inquiries.

Inquiries are reflected on your credit report pretty much the instant they happen, so this advice doesn't make any sense. The logic behind App-o-Ramas is that you apply for a bunch of cards when you're in the best position (i.e. highest credit score) to do so, so that your HPs drop off in groups, and you do it before a bunch of new accounts hit your CR and drop your AAoA. Since HPs happen instantanously, all you can do is priortize the apps with the HP-sensitive lenders first, and try to choose lenders that pull different CRs.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 18 of 20
drewrico
New Contributor

i also meant to mention this, but someone mentiond calling the walmart credit solutions to get the cl to 2000. does anyone have any advice on what i should say to them or how i should go about wording it.

Message 19 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Just call them and ask for a CLI. They will ask how much and your income. IF, they ask why, simply state the current CL is no longer sufficient, you want to use the cc more and your credit has changed for the better.

Good luck!
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.