Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to figure out my next move

tag
Reese2107
Valued Member

Trying to figure out my next move

I recently began researching these boards as well as others. I opened a Kay jewelers account about three months ago. $300 limit. I had absolutely no credit before that so i carried the balance and had a plan to pay it off over six months to show payment history. A couple of days ago i decided to try to get a secured card with Wells Fargo, even though I've been reading that they are very conservative. I got an instant approval in branch, with thousand dollars put up for it. Ive noticed on my my credit report one baddie, possibly two, dealing with the same collection. EX has a reporting for a balnce that has been CLOSED. one bad mark, key delinquent for january of this year. Tranunion has the same collection however from the actual hospital it seems. Collection has been open since 9/17/12...however no bad marks it just displays collections and no derogatory or anything like that. I guess my question is...what to do next. I would like to get a student card asap, however i am 27...so i wasnt sure which to go with or try to, mainly because i dont wanna get declined. Discover IT (for students), Cap1 Journey, citiforward (for students), or -sigh wells fargo college card.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FAKOS

EX: 596

TU: 608

EX: ?

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ: 664 TU: 673 EX: 700
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Cards: Citi Forward (Students): $1.5k, Wells Fargo Secured: $2k, Kay Jewelers: $300, BoA Cash Rewards (Students): $700, Buckle: $250
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to figure out my next move

Hi

We need to know a lil bit details before we can help you out.

1. What baddie ??? Collection ? Charge off ? From who ??? You owned it ?
  2. what else on your account ? Student loan ? car loan ? etc...
  3. What your credit score ??? Fico score ?
  4. Its better get your answer clear before you think about apply for something else. Dont just apply for bunch of ""useless"" card then end up cancel in a short period time
  5. Feel free to contact me if you cant find help anywhere else. You just remind me of myself who looking for some answer but can't find anywhere.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 5
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

Need more info (see above), but I just wanted to say that in my experience, 'students' must be 25 or under, even if you are currently full time. Check into it for those specific cards.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 3 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Reese2107 wrote:

I recently began researching these boards as well as others. I opened a Kay jewelers account about three months ago. $300 limit. I had absolutely no credit before that so i carried the balance and had a plan to pay it off over six months to show payment history. A couple of days ago i decided to try to get a secured card with Wells Fargo, even though I've been reading that they are very conservative. I got an instant approval in branch, with thousand dollars put up for it. Ive noticed on my my credit report one baddie, possibly two, dealing with the same collection. EX has a reporting for a balnce that has been CLOSED. one bad mark, key delinquent for january of this year. Tranunion has the same collection however from the actual hospital it seems. Collection has been open since 9/17/12...however no bad marks it just displays collections and no derogatory or anything like that. I guess my question is...what to do next. I would like to get a student card asap, however i am 27...so i wasnt sure which to go with or try to, mainly because i dont wanna get declined. Discover IT (for students), Cap1 Journey, citiforward (for students), or -sigh wells fargo college card.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FAKOS

EX: 596

TU: 608

EX: ?

Use your WF for most expenses and PIF each month.    Wait at least 6 months and until you have paid off the Kays card.   That will increase your odds of approval for next card. 

Message 4 of 5
Reese2107
Valued Member

Thank u. As far as the baddie goes. It is a hospital bill in collections from September of last year. Experian has account status marked as closed. Transunion has it as a collection....however it is not affecting that score for some reason. No student loans, no car loans, I'm waiting till the six month mark before I pull my ficos.

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ: 664 TU: 673 EX: 700
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Cards: Citi Forward (Students): $1.5k, Wells Fargo Secured: $2k, Kay Jewelers: $300, BoA Cash Rewards (Students): $700, Buckle: $250
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.