cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to figure out next card to go for...

tag
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

Trying to figure out next card to go for...

Here is what I have for revolving credit:

Opened 4/2003
PLOC with local CU - $1500

Opened 7/2014
Moto credit - $3400
Best Buy Card - $3000
Discover IT - $1500

Opened 1/2015
Barclays MC rewards - $500
Amazon card - $3500

Opened 2/2015
Care Credit - $1000

AAoA is 10 years (due to some really old student loans still reporting)

Ficos: TU 664 4/24 - EQ 683 5/11 - EX 692 5/10

I'm most interested in cash back cards. Two cards that I definately want to add to my portfolio are Barclay Sallie Mae and Fidelity Amex. I think it'll be some time before I can get the Fidelity Amex so in the shorter term was thinking about getting a Cap1 QS. But I really don't want to apply and then get the QS one. Would it be too soon to try going for the QS?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TheFate
Established Contributor

Re: Trying to figure out next card to go for...

Sallie mae for the win!

Message 2 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

It's not too soon to apply for the Capital One Quicksilver.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae sure is good. What about Citi DC with their 2% cash back on everything? If you are interested in the QS, have you tried C1's pre-qual site to test the waters?

Message 4 of 6
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sallie Mae sure is good. What about Citi DC with their 2% cash back on everything? If you are interested in the QS, have you tried C1's pre-qual site to test the waters?

I'm opted out. I've considered opting back in now that my scores are getting better but it's nice limiting the amount of junk mail I get. I have a CO from Citi from about 2008 so I'm thinking I've got a few years before getting back with them (Chase as well otherwise I'd consider the Freedom card as well).

Sallie Mae is the next card I really want. I just also wanted to expand my portfolio a little too since I already have a Barlcays card, but I'm going to go for the Sallie Mae after my Barclay rewards hits 6 months in July. I'm thinking they should give me a decent auto CLI at that time too since I've been putting 2-3 times my limit through that card consistentantly each month since I got it.

My thought with the QS is it would be a stepping stone card and use it for anything that I wouldn't be getting more than 1% on the other cards for the time being. Maybe what I should do is app for the Sallie Mae first and then go for the QS right after.

Message 5 of 6
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's a good idea to wait the full 6 months to go for Sallie Mae. Some people get a second Barclays card sooner but 6 months seems to significantly increase approval odds.

The Fidelity Amex may be a bit of a stretch now since they will most likely pull EX, but they are pretty good manually reconsidering apps.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.