Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get CC debt under control!

tag
trinigal30
Valued Member

Trying to get CC debt under control!

Hi Everyone,

I have 3 credit cards (Amex, Discover & BOA) that have 96%,95% & 88% utilization on them respectively.  Most of this is old debt that I've just been paying the minimum on but now I feel like I'm in a better position financially and I'm trying to get them under control.  My FICO score is currently 677 and I don't plan on taking out any major loans as I have a mortgage that i've been paying on and have not missed a payment for 1.5 years.  Below are the balances and APRs on the cards.  I have $4,000 to pay down some of this debt and need to know what would be the best use of this money to increase my FICO score.  Should I pay the one with the highest APR, should I take out a personal (revolving) loan or should I try to get a 0% Credit Card.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

BOA @ 25.49%v - Balance is $8,300; CC Limit - $8,600; Util - 96%

AMEX @ 11.49%v - Balance is $2,210; CC Limit - $2,500; Util - 88%

Discover @23.24%v - Balance is $3,331; CC Limit - $3,500; Util - 95%

Equifax-617; Experian-629; TU-628
BOA (max)-$3.6k; Amex(max)-$1.5k; Discover IT -$2.4k
Goal: 725-759 (overall 3 Bureaus)
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to get CC debt under control!

That's a tough one. If I were you, I would use that 4k to wipe out the Discover balance completely, then split what's left to pay down the other 2 a little bit. I wish you had enough to wipe out both the Discover and Amex balances, so you could use the money you have been using to pay on those 2 monthly to start paying down your BOA balance. With that high of util on your cards it's doubtful you'd get approved for a loan or 0% APR card.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to agree with JustMe3. Pay off one card all together, that way you're in great standing with at least one of the issuers. And after you pay down the balance in full, request a CLI. Request one on all of the cards if you'd like. If you get approved that will decrease your utilization as well. Also if you pay off one in full, it eliminates one of the payments you need to make all together. Then you can add more to the payments of your other cards still. 

Message 3 of 23
Chris679
Established Contributor

paying off Discover and getting a 0% balance transfer from them is probably the best course of action. If you could move half the BoA balance over you would be in pretty good shape.

Another option is paying them all under 75% and getting a personal loan. If you are a member of a CU that would be best but if not I think you would not be able to get a rate low enough to make it worth it.
Message 4 of 23
Chris679
Established Contributor

Or you could do both I suppose.
Message 5 of 23
trinigal30
Valued Member

Thanks @ Justme3. I have been spinning my wheels on this one for about a month...just didn't know what's my best move. The interest on the discover is pretty high so it would make sense to pay it off and then reduce the utilization on the amex.
Message 6 of 23
trinigal30
Valued Member

@djambroak thanks for the advice. How long after paying off the discover should I wait before requesting CLIs on the existing cards? Or should I just monitor my FICO score?
Message 7 of 23
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@trinigal30 wrote:

My FICO score is currently 677 and I don't plan on taking out any major loans as I have a mortgage that i've been paying on and have not missed a payment for 1.5 years.  

You really don't have much choice in the matter if you have 3 maxed cards that are that close to 100%.  There may be a chance that you might get an approval but you're going to get very unfavorable terms even if you do.

It's not just the 1.5 years that matter.  Your entire payment history and all the derogs on your reports matter.  If you have lates, collections and other derogs then definitely see if there's anything you can do to address them as Payment History is a bigger factor than Amounts Owed (which Revolving Utilization falls under).

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

@trinigal30 wrote:

I have $4,000 to pay down some of this debt and need to know what would be the best use of this money to increase my FICO score. 

Score is the least of your concerns at this point.  Your top priority is reducing debt and avoiding adverse action from having cards that high.

Set up a spreadsheet.  Make a column with the current balance.  Make a column with the limit.  Calculate current revolving utization in one column.  Use another column for payments.  Create another column for balance after payment.  Finally calculate reovlving utilization after payment in another column.

Play with the allocation of payments so that you reduce the revolving utilization on all your cards as much as possible with the money that you have.  You want to reduce revolving utilization in stages until you get under a certain point.  Get them all down to 90% or less.  The get them all down to 75% or less.  Then get them down to 50% or less.  At that stage you might want to switch to tackling highest APR or smallest balance depending on whether or not your top priority is paying the least interest and whether or not you'd see motivational benefit from eliminating small balances.

You'll improve your scores by reducing your revolving utilization drastically.  If you have derogs and also work on them you'll also see significant scoring improvements from that as well.  After you've done that then worry about your scores.

@trinigal30 wrote:

Should I pay the one with the highest APR, should I take out a personal (revolving) loan or should I try to get a 0% Credit Card.

Don't rely on any new credit given your current state.  Approvals and terms are all going to be based on your credit profile.  With 3 cards that close to 100% you're going to have trouble getting approved and even if you get approved you will get poor terms.  Focus on paying down those balances.

Make sure you're also addressing whatever led to this situation or you will not be able to make long term progress.  Make sure you're budgeting, sticking to it, not relying solely on credit for emergencies, establihing a liquid reserve, etc.  I know all this is much easier said than done but it is what it is and the numbers have to add up in order for your situation to improve.

@trinigal30 wrote:
@djambroak thanks for the advice. How long after paying off the discover should I wait before requesting CLIs on the existing cards? Or should I just monitor my FICO score?

Your entire credit profile and your income are both evaluated when determining CLI eligibility.  If there is any benefit from paying off your Discover balance then you will see that benefit when Discover reports and the CRA's update.  However, if you still have 2 cards that close to 100% you will have problems getting CLI's as well as approvals.

Message 8 of 23
trinigal30
Valued Member

@chris679 I am a member of a CU and I believe their personal loan is 7 or 8% for 60 months. If im not getting anywhere with the BOA, I will probably have to look into getting a personal loan with them. I am in good standing with the CU as my car loan was with them..paid in full with no late payments.
Message 9 of 23
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@trinigal30 wrote:
@Chris679 I am a member of a CU and I believe their personal loan is 7 or 8% for 60 months. If im not getting anywhere with the BOA, I will probably have to look into getting a personal loan with them. I am in good standing with the CU as my car loan was with them..paid in full with no late payments.

It is never just your account(s) with a given creditor that matters.  You entire credit profile matters.  Being in good standing with a creditor doesn't hurt but it isn't going to make your maxed accounts cease to be maxed.  Rate will depend on what your credit profile qualifies for and revolving utilization like that will not qualify for low rates, high limits, etc.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.