Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a high limit card.

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to get a high limit card.

Why the need for a high limit card? Just app for cards that fit your needs, then build them up to higher limits.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 11 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Why the need for a high limit card? Just app for cards that fit your needs, then build them up to higher limits.

+1

Message 12 of 17
Juan123
Established Contributor

thanks CA for some reason i didnt notice the red that you posted into my quote lol.

Dust, the cards i have havent moved limits in a while and i've already started to cut them out ()closed 2 capital one, a discover and some others)also i have too many store cards, i'd just like to add a nice card with a high limit that would be my main card and hopefully some rewards.  

so looks like i'll be applying for another AMEX or USAA card or chase card.... 

@ca The reason im hesitant getting the old navy visa is because it'll report as a new card. Still think its a good idea?

update: applied for a usaa card, was approved but only $3500 limit, didnt get approved for the amex... weird. oh well. guess i'm on break for the next year

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 13 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Juan123 wrote:

thanks CA for some reason i didnt notice the red that you posted into my quote lol.

Dust, the cards i have havent moved limits in a while and i've already started to cut them out ()closed 2 capital one, a discover and some others)also i have too many store cards, i'd just like to add a nice card with a high limit that would be my main card and hopefully some rewards.  

@Anonymous The reason im hesitant getting the old navy visa is because it'll report as a new card. Still think its a good idea?

update: applied for a usaa card, was approved but only $3500 limit, didnt get approved for the amex... weird. oh well. guess i'm on break for the next year

I think based on these 2 happenings, you would benefit from taking the Old Navy Offer. Especially if you are able to (I usually can't! LOL) stop applying until at least feburary or March of 2013. I really don't think you will see that much a score ding if at all for seeing 2 new lines open on your credit... especially on newer credit files, you see almost no impact, I actually gained points in beginning of some of my new accounts since it all was positive new stuff to delute more of the bad and basically continue to move further and further away from last reported baddie.

and I agree I love my credit cards, probably could still keep applying for them like candy! but I also see how simplified things are when you just have a couple and if you open store cards that are useful when you need them (target 5%, Lowes 5% if it's small projects vs. 0%, Macy's almost always extra off when using card)

but I would like to get down to the 1 amex and 1 visa/mc what not but possibly have a few more and play the rotating categories game... but the past of 70+ accounts is where that needs to stay... past!

Message 14 of 17
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Juan123 wrote:

@Anonymous The reason im hesitant getting the old navy visa is because it'll report as a new card. Still think its a good idea?

US Bank has given me good increases. Maybe they would do the same for you. Might be worth a shot at one more card. If declined try to recon.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 15 of 17
Juan123
Established Contributor

i have way too many cards now... I'll definitely start cutting out credit cards... oldnavy is probably first even though i just upgraded to visa lmao.  

i love my paypal smartconnect. i use paypal for everything!~

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

isn't there a benefit to having high limit (10k+) credit cards?

i heard some higher end cards want to see other high limit cards on the report or something

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.