Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get an early account combination after PC at Cap1

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Trying to get an early account combination after PC at Cap1

Exactly. While I get being respectful, it doesnt mean everyone has to baby a poster. Point is OP has to wait the 6 months just like everyone else does and it is what it is. I agree there is really nothing else to say.

Theres little point to a forum if all we are allowed to say is congrats, good job etc. Sometimes people need a reality check in the interest of good advice. Congrats isnt appropriate when someone is overboard with apps for example. Do we want to help them or not? Why tell them what they wanna hear?

Message 11 of 23
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@onstar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ther are ways to get your point across that are perfectly fine and then there are ways that cross over from informative to unnecessarily sarcastic.  Several of the responses here do that.  Please refrain from doing so

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Forum-Etiquette/m-p/2797115

Seems like the myFICO forum tends to baby people. If people say anything that is not supportive of another, then they often get the ettiquette link thrown at them.

I don't think anyone was being too sarcastic (unless you meant post #6 and MAYBE #5). There were some things said that the OP didn't want to hear, but I don't see any sarcasm. Even if they were sarcastic, I think if people are asking for unnecessary things, then the sarcasm thrown at them isn't necessarily unnecessary. (Ok, I didn't necessarily need to say necessary/unnecessary that many times). In this case and point, the OP is being unreasonably impatient. I see no reason why people shouldn't call that out. It's not like people are saying that the OP is being immature or stupid, in which case the etiquette link should be thrown at them.

Anyway, I dream of a day when we can openly call someone stupid IF the situation warranted it. We have too many "congrats" posts (especially in the Approval forum) when the proper response should be, "You get another card? -rolleyes-" or "That was dumb!"

Bear in mind that, without hearing tone of voice, posts can come off as strong to some readers.   Our CL was cautioning against doing this, and I agree with that caution.   However, we are only cautioning regarding the tone of the responses, not the responses themselves.   We are all hear to learn and improve our experiences in the realm of credit, and there is most certainly a place for constructive criticism.   I agree that coddling members will not help their credit situations.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrZoidberg wrote:

I may come across sarcastic or as an ass. But I'm not here to hold people's hands and tell them that they can surely get something if they sure try! OP knows the policy, already called and got denied trying to go around that policy then comes here and makes a thread asking if there is another way to go around it. What are we supposed to say?

No one is asking you or anyone else to hold people's hands.  If someone asks a question like that you should point out that it's a ridiculous question and that they shouldn't be trying to get around set policies.  No problems with that. I've told people before that it's ridiculous to contact Capitol One's EO office for a less than pressing matter.    We just have to be selective at times in our wording but no one expects everyone to sit around singing kumbaya or 'we are the world'. All I'm asking is to be a tad bit less sarcastic, that's all.

Message 13 of 23
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So, 

Have had a platinum for 7 months that was PCed to a QS1 after credit steps. 

Opened a QS1 in June before this happened, because I'm impatient. 

Used it, maxed it, paid it, sitting at zero balance. Has yet to report, does not have a due date, and every time I call and ask when the first statement will cut they give me a later date (First was early august, then august 12th, now september 1st, still nothing showing online). 

First line CSR said they aren't able to as in they do not have the capability to do it at that level. Is it worth escalating and trying to get it combined before it even reports? My profile is in much better shape and I want to app for a no-fee card anyway with a higher limit, maybe that in combination with the combination Smiley Wink ? My other plan was to let get it to the 2 CLIs and auto combine at six months, I just thought it would be nicer to skip the tradeline and start something new, since a six month tradeline isn't exactly earth-shatteringly helpful (especially since I have other credit)

Anyway, thoughts are appreciated. 

We say it here very often:  credit is a journey, not a race.   Unfortunately, your impatience gained you an unnecessary TL and at least 3 unnecessary HPs.   I've made mistakes in my credit journey as well, and I've just had to chalk them up to experience.   A lender will not bend their policies to accommodate mistakes made, unfortunately.  But time will certainly help these issues.

If you want a product with no AF, I recommend being patient and PCing to QS once the option available (calling or chat tends to yield success).  If that isn't an option, you may be able to request a waiver for the AF.   However, these options may not be available for at least 6 months.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrZoidberg wrote:

I may come across sarcastic or as an ass. But I'm not here to hold people's hands and tell them that they can surely get something if they sure try! OP knows the policy, already called and got denied trying to go around that policy then comes here and makes a thread asking if there is another way to go around it. What are we supposed to say?

That's not what occurred, I called to ask if I was ever getting a statement since I kept getting different answers from the chat. I then asked if it was possible to just close and merge. I wasn't trying to "get around a policy". She didn't say I wasn't allowed to do it, she said first line CSRs don't have that capability, which is what lead me to think it may be possible. But hey, if it makes people feel good to pile on that's fine. I make capital one money, they don't make me any, so anything I can do to get an advantage with them is ok in my book. I have better cards from other lenders at this point. This is the same site that thought they'd be able to sue OCCU for closing people's risky as hell accounts, so I take everything with a grain of salt. 

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@DrZoidberg wrote:

That's not what occurred, I called to ask if I was ever getting a statement since I kept getting different answers from the chat. I then asked if it was possible to just close and merge. I wasn't trying to "get around a policy". She didn't say I wasn't allowed to do it, she said first line CSRs don't have that capability, which is what lead me to think it may be possible. But hey, if it makes people feel good to pile on that's fine. I make capital one money, they don't make me any, so anything I can do to get an advantage with them is ok in my book. I have better cards from other lenders at this point. This is the same site that thought they'd be able to sue OCCU for closing people's risky as hell accounts, so I take everything with a grain of salt. 

Rewards?

Message 16 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Anyone who thought they could sue for OCCU or any account closure is very sorely mistaken
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
Anyone who thought they could sue for OCCU or any account closure is very sorely mistaken

Off topic, but I got a chuckle out of this. Smiley Happy On with the topic though, Be patient OP. Rome wasn't built in one day.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Let's keep our tenses in order.  Should be 'was very sorely mistaken' :-)

Message 19 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Ahh! And im usually good with grammar.

Anyway OP I dont think anyone meant disrespect. Im sure you arent intentionally trying to game the system. But youll just need to wait 6 months to combine.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.