cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get approved for Citi Simplicity, what are my chances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get approved for Citi Simplicity, what are my chances?

Hi y'all I'm really praying I get approved for a Citi Simplicity card. I'm trying to finance a large purchase with the 21-month 0% APR offer.

I'm 19, and I have one other credit card. My credit score is alright, 744 on CK. Payments are always before the due date, so I'm carrying a $0 balance and utilization is at 0% too. Zero hard pulls or other credit/loan applications. No car or student loans. Annual income is 40k (20k from a part-time job and 20k from parents). I heard that 0% utilization is kinda bad tho, and my credit file is thin (only 9 months) so I'm a little worried.

Do you think I have a good chance of getting approved, based on your own approvals/denials? And what kind of credit limit can I expect to get?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to get approved for Citi Simplicity, what are my chances?

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi y'all I'm really praying I get approved for a Citi Simplicity card. I'm trying to finance a large purchase with the 21-month 0% APR offer.

I'm 19, and I have one other credit card. My credit score is alright, 744 on CK. Payments are always before the due date, so I'm carrying a $0 balance and utilization is at 0% too. Zero hard pulls or other credit/loan applications. No car or student loans. Annual income is 40k (20k from a part-time job and 20k from parents). I heard that 0% utilization is kinda bad tho, and my credit file is thin (only 9 months) so I'm a little worried.

Do you think I have a good chance of getting approved, based on your own approvals/denials? And what kind of credit limit can I expect to get?

Welcome to the forums. Firstly, I want to impress upon you that the Diamond Preferred card also offers 21 months of 0% on purchases and balance transfers; offers a lower ongoing APR but most importantly can be changed to a better card once your into period expires. The Simplicity card currently cannot be changed to something better once the intro period expires. So, in my opinion, you should go for the Diamond Preferred card over Simplicity.

Secondly, go here to see if you are pre qualified for any Citibank cards:

https://www.citicards.com/cards/credit/application/flow.action?isInvitation=N&OC=CC-CITI-3D3&intc=2~2~51~1~111716~1~PreQualification~Citicards~3D3

If that link doesn't work, simply go to Citicards.com and click on the pre qualification link. This would be a soft inquiry so it won't affect your credit report. Pre qualifying is a good gauge to see if the bank is interested in your profile. Keep in mind, getting a pre qualification does not guarantee approval and not getting a pre qualified offer does not necessarily mean you won't be approved. 

I have no recent experience with Citibank as I was your age when I was approved for mine Smiley Wink But they tend to be conservative. Even if you are approved you may get a low credit line. If this happens you can always ask for a CLI during activation of the card (will be another HP). 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to get approved for Citi Simplicity, what are my chances?

I agree with what CO_ native said.

I'll add the tiny counterpoint that I experienced.
I recently pre-qualified for the Diamond preferred and for the lowest apr advertised. "Ooo, they like me! " Nope. $500 SL. All of my other cards are in the 10k range. I tried a SP when i got the card, but I wasn't willing to do a HP for a huge maybe.

That said, Citi may love your profile and give you a large SL.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.