Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get credit cards

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Trying to get credit cards

Certainly get your real FICO as others have suggested. No lender that I am aware of is using Vantage 3.0 scores supplied by Credit Karma and they can be drastically different than the scores most lenders use, FICO 08. My Equifax is current 110 points lower on Credit Karma which is a huge difference.

There is enough valuable info here on good lenders for every credit type, please avoid Credit One like the plague. As suggested, check out the prequalify sites for some lenders and let us know if they return anything and what APR ranges (or better yet, actual number) they return.

Navy Federal Credit Union would likely be a great fit for you, but it can be a bit of a pain to join if you do not normally qualify for membership. Pentagon Federal Credit Union is easy to join but without knowing your actual scores and what your profile looks like, we can't tell you if PenFed would be a sure thing or not.
Message 11 of 14
FA21
New Contributor

Stay away from Credit One!  I made that mistake and is still costing me.  Im waiting for my others cards to take off and I will close Credit One soon after, definitely before the year to avoid paying the $75.00 annual fee.  I recommend to open a secure Discover.  You should be able to graduate in 6 months and can presume a solid CC with 1% money back.

NFCU Platinum $1700.00; Capital One Platinum $300.00; Discover (secure) $200.00; Bank One $300.00 (April 2017)

NFCU Platinum $1700.00; Capital One Quicksilver $1800.00; Discover $2000.00; (March 2019)
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If someone can put you on as an AU, I would consider it. That will help your score. I did that for my bf recently and his score jumped 18-20 points. Also, once your score is high enough, apply to a few cards: 2-6 cards. Trust me on this one, all of my scores are sitting around 720 and above. I highly recommend this if you have massive amounts of debt. Personally, I have a mountain of student loan debt and a small percentage of personal debt waiting to be paid off. The credit cards I have acquired over the years have tremendously helped my score. Of course, I have to leave a disclaimer because with lots of credit cards and high limits, you want to be responsible and not rack up debt like it's water. Anyways, get someone to put you on their credit cards, apply to a capital one card and be responsible! Hope this helps. 

Message 13 of 14
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Get your true FICO scores, and try the pre approval link for Capital One.

I agree with the sentiments on avoiding Credit One. There are easier and cheaper ways to build your scores up.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.