cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get in 700 club by the end of the year CC question.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get in 700 club by the end of the year CC question.

Trying to get in the 700 club before the end of the year.  One of main barriers is no CC.  How many cards should I apply for?   Which CC company is better?  Should I get a secured or unsecured card?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Trying to get in 700 club by the end of the year CC question.

One is all you need. If you're just starting or re-starting, you don't want to load up on a bunch of crap cards that will drive you crazy in 6 or 12 months.

What are your current FICO scores? Is there a reason that you don't currently have any revolving credit? (recovering from bankruptcy, new to the US, never bothered, etc.) I ask because different circumstances would indicate different cards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
cobra19
Valued Contributor

What are your scores now? There is no "better" cc company. Depends on what you are looking for.

If I were just starting, first thing I'd do is open a checking and / or savings account with my local bank. Then, I'd apply to my local credit union.

IMO, a secure card is a last option..

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am rebuilding my credit.  I had a Capital One card about 9 years ago $1000 limit.  It was charged off - no longer reporting to CRA.   My current scores are TU-680/EQ640
Message Edited by Daffydatsun on 05-08-2009 11:31 AM
Message 4 of 5
cobra19
Valued Contributor

If your EQ score is the range of the other two - apply to a CU.

See if you qualify for NFCU.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.