Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get to Asia via credit card points & marriott package

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Trying to get to Asia via credit card points & marriott package

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think its safest to have a J class ticket that you can upgrade to F just in case. F opening up isn't always a guarantee , becuase it would suck if you weren't able to fly J or F back for such a long flight. 

As far as intra asia flights go you can fly low cost airlines that fly to various parts of SE asia, and also SQ has a low cost airline Silk that you can probably use to fly various parts of asia

Any idea if I can just book the intra-asia flights once I am on the ground over there and still get a good price? Would be nice to be able to pick and choose when I am going to move vs being on a set schedule the entire trip. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think its safest to have a J class ticket that you can upgrade to F just in case. F opening up isn't always a guarantee , becuase it would suck if you weren't able to fly J or F back for such a long flight. 

As far as intra asia flights go you can fly low cost airlines that fly to various parts of SE asia, and also SQ has a low cost airline Silk that you can probably use to fly various parts of asia

Any idea if I can just book the intra-asia flights once I am on the ground over there and still get a good price? Would be nice to be able to pick and choose when I am going to move vs being on a set schedule the entire trip. 

last few times i was in thailand and booked flights to chiang mai and chiang rai i just used "cash" to pay for the flights I think thats probably the best way. You can buy day of the flight, since when we were flying to chiang mai they had like 8 flights that day or something. I would just make a plan where in asia i would want to go and then you can buy tickets a day or so before. THe only exception would be Burma/Myanmar I think you need visa for that if you are u.s citizen. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Yeah.

The flights are so short I'd also recommend taking budget trips and pay directly; save miles for where they matter like long haul flights.  Flight + 2 nights hotel in Thailand last minute at an expensive time was something like 200 SGD off Expedia though I'd spend 300 if I had to do it again for a nicer and more convenient hotel, silly cheap in comparison to elsewhere.  

That said I needed to park my bags in Singapore as most of the regional carriers charge for baggage which would've upped the cost by ~20%, but if you're doing a few days at a time, hubbing out of Singapore isn't a bad choice for TH, KL, VN, etc.

        
Message 13 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Yeah.

The flights are so short I'd also recommend taking budget trips and pay directly; save miles for where they matter like long haul flights.  Flight + 2 nights hotel in Thailand last minute at an expensive time was something like 200 SGD off Expedia though I'd spend 300 if I had to do it again for a nicer and more convenient hotel, silly cheap in comparison to elsewhere.  

That said I needed to park my bags in Singapore as most of the regional carriers charge for baggage which would've upped the cost by ~20%, but if you're doing a few days at a time, hubbing out of Singapore isn't a bad choice for TH, KL, VN, etc.

Right now I see an option to fly JAL first class To BKK with a 3 night layover in Tokyo. I'd rather only two nights in Tokyo, but I may book this on my way in and skip Singapore all together. I'm probably not going to double back anywhere so I will have to take the baggage with me which is one bag and one carry on. For american standards my luugage is carry on size but I don't know how they will handle that with some of these low cost se asia carriers. So in a nutshell I think I will book NYC-Tokyo (3 nights there) then BKK. Spend like 3 or 4 nights in Bangkok and maybe a night in the surrounding area, then cheap flight to Saigon. work my way up to Hanoi then a cheap flight to Manila (or wherever is good in the phillipines and explore the Phillipines before catching a CX fliht from manila to HKG. 2 or 3 day layover in HKG and then back to NYC in CX first. Right now there is not HKG-NYC availability on my return dates but I am hoping stuff starts opening up close in and in any event I won't have the rest of the points to complete that booking until mid june. Would be flying back around 7/10 or a couple days prior. I think this plan makes sense. If things go to hell for some reason I could refund the JAL flight ($125 fee) and rebook a CX first class there and business back, but right now there is nothing available for that. 

;
Message 14 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Yeah.

Right now I see an option to fly JAL first class To BKK with a 3 night layover in Tokyo. I'd rather only two nights in Tokyo, but I may book this on my way in and skip Singapore all together. I'm probably not going to double back anywhere so I will have to take the baggage with me which is one bag and one carry on. For american standards my luugage is carry on size but I don't know how they will handle that with some of these low cost se asia carriers. So in a nutshell I think I will book NYC-Tokyo (3 nights there) then BKK. Spend like 3 or 4 nights in Bangkok and maybe a night in the surrounding area, then cheap flight to Saigon. work my way up to Hanoi then a cheap flight to Manila (or wherever is good in the phillipines and explore the Phillipines before catching a CX fliht from manila to HKG. 2 or 3 day layover in HKG and then back to NYC in CX first. Right now there is not HKG-NYC availability on my return dates but I am hoping stuff starts opening up close in and in any event I won't have the rest of the points to complete that booking until mid june. Would be flying back around 7/10 or a couple days prior. I think this plan makes sense. If things go to hell for some reason I could refund the JAL flight ($125 fee) and rebook a CX first class there and business back, but right now there is nothing available for that. 

man my memory is pretty bad I forgot if the low cost domestic carriers in thailand charged for carry on i don't think they did I know they charged for check in like how most us carriers do. Have you been to singapore before I actually like singapore but its very small and a bit on the expensive side compared to other cities in SE asia. 

Message 15 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Yeah.

man my memory is pretty bad I forgot if the low cost domestic carriers in thailand charged for carry on i don't think they did I know they charged for check in like how most us carriers do. Have you been to singapore before I actually like singapore but its very small and a bit on the expensive side compared to other cities in SE asia. 

No I haven't been to Singapore before. It just seems kinda out of the way compared to areas I am interested in. If I could get SQ suites back I'd consider doing that, but right now when I go to the SQ website it doesn't even show the ability to waitlist on flights from SIN-JGK in July. Maybe it opens up closer in and allows people to waitlist at that point? I would use my Amex MRs on the redemption. Otherwise I will need to wait for my alaska miles to post and wait for CX to open up in which case I will build in a layover in HKG. 

;
Message 16 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

Anyone use aeroplan, united or SQ to redeem on NH. Aeroplan and SQ will take my Amex MRs and I am trying to book a one way SE Asia to NYC. I was all excited because I found availibility and was going to use virgin atlantic due to the amex transfer bonus, but I forgot that had to be a roundtrip and there was no availbility. I'm looking to avoid fuel surcharges and I am not sure which program does what. I think United would require Chase URs so I'd like to avoid going that route if possible. 

;
Message 17 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Yeah.

Jetstar and the other budget carriers do charge for checked bags: $35 SGD for them in particular so I just tossed two change of clothes in a backpack and went.  That was an easier option for me since my return CX flight was out of Singapore anyway.

I'm actually strongly considering moving to Singapore I liked it that much heh, though for tourist destinations some of the surrounding countries are likely more interesting.

        
Message 18 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Yeah.

Jetstar and the other budget carriers do charge for checked bags: $35 SGD for them in particular so I just tossed two change of clothes in a backpack and went.  That was an easier option for me since my return CX flight was out of Singapore anyway.

I'm actually strongly considering moving to Singapore I liked it that much heh, though for tourist destinations some of the surrounding countries are likely more interesting.

my opinion of singapore is a really nice place to visit but I am not sure i would want to live there, Its very expensive, and ciy is kind of fake because its an island and all also I am not really too keen on such a restirctive government. 

BTW i checked when i flew in thailand you are allowed one carry one that weights 15 LB I would assume anything over that weight you would get charged a fee. 

Message 19 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Anyone use aeroplan, united or SQ to redeem on NH. Aeroplan and SQ will take my Amex MRs and I am trying to book a one way SE Asia to NYC. I was all excited because I found availibility and was going to use virgin atlantic due to the amex transfer bonus, but I forgot that had to be a roundtrip and there was no availbility. I'm looking to avoid fuel surcharges and I am not sure which program does what. I think United would require Chase URs so I'd like to avoid going that route if possible. 

I have never tried redeeming on NH before but when i checked ealier int he year with United there wasn't much availbility for J, btw have you ever thought of using Virgin atlantic fo fly NH I heard thats a popular option it didn't quite work out for me but maybe you can look at that option as well. 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.