cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuned down for secured card.......now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tuned down for secured card.......now what?

I applied for a Wells Fargo secured card and was turned down.  I pre qualified for an Orchard Bank card and when I check the status of it on the website it says that my application could not be finalized and I will hear from them in 10-14 days.  I would assume with a denial letter.  What can I do now?  I want to rebuild my credit but if I can't even get a secured card I feel hopeless.  My credit score is 520.  Has anybody ever been in a situation like this?   Can I find a card that I will not turn me down? 

Thank You for any help!
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Tuned down for secured card.......now what?

Dont get discouraged. We all went through the same steps. My suggestion approach one of your local Credit Unions and ask them for a secured card. They are much more willing to help and get you started. Start with it and let us know how you make out in getting secured card.
Message 2 of 27
kball64
Frequent Contributor

I was turned down by WF for a secured card as well.  I sent a recon letter to them and they still denied me.  It's because I had a previous CO with them which I had paid in full but they still turned me down.  I just applied to National City and am waiting for my card.  I was torn between them and BoFA but figured I had a better chance with National City because of my credit and the fact that I had a previous CO with BoFA and I read that they blacklist.  National City reports as secured and does periodic reviews for upgrade to nonsecured.  The minimum deposit is $250 and the customer service rep I spoke to told me they pull credit just to verify name and address information.
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Grace. Sorry you got turned down by WF. Have you looked in "Get a Credit Card" here on myFiCO? That would be a good place to start. It's in the black menu bar at the top on the right.
Message 4 of 27
dangphuocloc72
Frequent Contributor

Message 5 of 27
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Things are never hopeless, Grace.  I will echo the sentinments of a previous poster, and visit my local CU. They are always willing to work with you individually.

Don't be so quick to assume Orchard will deny you.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't despair!!

Even if you are turned down, then get a Crown Jewelers account, wait for it ro report, wait for your inquiries to age a little (say, 30-60 days), and then try again at more places. local CU's are a good bet!

You'll get there, don't worry!!
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for the advise.  I looked at the crown jewelers website.  Is it something that really is a good idea?  Do you have to make an expensive purchase?   I was also looking at the eufora credit builder.   If anybody would share how they got started with cards I would love any input.  Thank You. 
Message 8 of 27
SanFranMatt
Frequent Contributor

I think the first step is figuring out why your credit score is 520 and trying to get rid of some of the bad items that are dragging it down.  The good thing about having a score in the low 500's is that you can usually make some dramatic improvements quickly.  If you can get rid of a few items and bring your scores up to the high 500's, then you'll be able to get cards easier.
Message 9 of 27
creditdream
Frequent Contributor

i totally agree with SanFranMatt  you need to find out why your score around 520,and trying to get rid of it or fix it  .
your other question about EUFORA REBUILDER  i would say from my own opinion they are not that helpful . Maybe others have  a better experience with them them mine .
Good luck to you,and hopefully you will achieved what you looking for . Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.