CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Turned 50k PRG bonus into $8,108 in flights to Europe

Wow amazing OP

Message 21 of 30
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Tangentially related, does anyone know any good ways of transferring miles to Air Canada and/or Austrian Air?   I fly Delta/Air France a lot for work and have a boat load of miles, but when I take personal trips, I try to use Air Canada or Austrian because I like their service and I tend to go to destinations that they offer direct service from Toronto and Toronto is a short 30 minute flight from here.

Message 22 of 30
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Lyythine wrote:

Tangentially related, does anyone know any good ways of transferring miles to Air Canada and/or Austrian Air?   I fly Delta/Air France a lot for work and have a boat load of miles, but when I take personal trips, I try to use Air Canada or Austrian because I like their service and I tend to go to destinations that they offer direct service from Toronto and Toronto is a short 30 minute flight from here.

Doesnt MR transfer directly to Aeroplan(air canada)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 23 of 30
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

I am completely dumb on most mile transfer options, I just havent spent the time to look.  Thanks for the heads up though! I will definitely check it out!

Message 24 of 30
dilettante
Established Contributor

Great job OP!  I love using points to gift family upper class airline tickets and hotel stays.  I need to play around with BA Avios for the next round of gifts.  

@Lyythine wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

I am completely dumb on most mile transfer options, I just havent spent the time to look.  Thanks for the heads up though! I will definitely check it out!

I know it's OT but the only cards/programs I know that can transfer points to Air Canada are Amex MR, SPG, and Diner's.  Only card I can think of for Austrian Air is Barclay's Miles and More which covers Lufthansa, SwissAir, Brussels, and Austrian.  But they are both Star Alliance member airlines.

Message 25 of 30
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

Great job OP!  I love using points to gift family upper class airline tickets and hotel stays.  I need to play around with BA Avios for the next round of gifts.  

@Lyythine wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

I know it's OT but the only cards/programs I know that can transfer points to Air Canada are Amex MR, SPG, and Diner's.  Only card I can think of for Austrian Air is Barclay's Miles and More which covers Lufthansa, SwissAir, Brussels, and Austrian.  But they are both Star Alliance member airlines.

If austrian air is part of star alliance then you have many more options i believe since SPG, MR, UR, and TYP have access to star alliance partners. Its the same for air canada since its also an star alliance partner.

So for example with UR you can probably transfer to UAL to get access to air canada flights and austrian air. Also by using UAL miles you should avoid most fuel surcharges.  

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow!!! That's amazing! I hope your parents enjoy their trip!!

I am hoping to have similar success later this year when I will book my flight from LAX to SYD business class. Hopefully I will have enough points (95k) to do such a thing, and also hopefully there will be a transfer boost that will aid in my adventure!

Message 27 of 30
dilettante
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@dilettante wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

If austrian air is part of star alliance then you have many more options i believe since SPG, MR, UR, and TYP have access to star alliance partners. Its the same for air canada since its also an star alliance partner.

So for example with UR you can probably transfer to UAL to get access to air canada flights and austrian air. Also by using UAL miles you should avoid most fuel surcharges.  

UAL can be great because they don't charge much in booking fees and no fuel charges for award flights but sometimes, it's hard to find star alliance award seats.  I ended up just transferring to Krisflyer and booking SQ RT First saver tickets for less than 150k miles but I was able to find a pair of ANA business saver awards through UAL, so it's always worth a shot if you have lots of UR points.

Here's a blog post that can be useful for those looking for star alliance award availability to use UAL points:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/04/how-to-find-and-book-star-alliance-awards-not-showing-up-on-united-c...

Message 28 of 30
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Hopefully the business class is on the westbound flight. BOS-DUB is just too short of a flight, especially with tail winds, to truly enjoy the experience.
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

So sad I won't be getting my MR bonus points in time before the 40% BA thingy at the end of this month Smiley Sad

How often does AMEX do these discounts?   *where do I even look?  didn't see it on the site... maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.