Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turned Lemons into Lemonade -- Reallocated CL from Chase FU to Chase Slate

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Turned Lemons into Lemonade -- Reallocated CL from Chase FU to Chase Slate

Last week, I wanted to slap myself silly for applying for a Chase Slate -- a CC I didn't need, and now don't want.Smiley Sad. After ranting about my impulsiveness, I took MyFICOer's advice and appreciated how you empathized with my impulsiveness.

So, I decided to follow elim's advice about combining the limit with another Chase card. This evening I called Chase and asked if I could reallocate $1.5K to my ChaseFU, leaving $1K on my Slate. They said yes!! No HP. So, now I don't feel so bad. My Chase FU, which I use a lot, is now $4K and my Slate $1K, which is fine because I'm just SD that card.

Thanks so much to this Forum for everything I've learned and continue to learn.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Turned Lemons into Lemonade -- Reallocated CL from Chase FU to Chase Slate

Nice job moving that limit to make the card you like more useful.  What was your motivation to get the Slate?  Usually people get that card for the balance transfer feature.

Out of curiosity, why are you putting it in the SD rather than just closing it all together?  If it's a card that you don't want and are not going to use that you just got, to me it would make the most sense just closing it and turning the page.  I'm not sure how it works with Chase products, but perhaps you could even move that final $500 en route to closing it out.

Message 2 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

BBS, Chase did ask me if I wanted to close it and move the entire $2.5K to my FU, but since I just opened it, I didn't think that was a good idea. I really meant to apply for the Freedom and just was too impulsive without doing diligent research -- didn't realize Slate was basically good for BT. I don't have anything to BT so it really was a dumb application in the first place. That's why I wanted to slap myself silly. But lesson-learned. I'll definitely think about what you're saying and probably will just go ahead and reallocate the remaining $1K over in a few months. Just don't want to do the wrong thing again. Smiley Sad

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice work.

Message 4 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

What's on the Slate for today? love me some lemonadeSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

I really meant to apply for the Freedom and just was too impulsive without doing diligent research -- didn't realize Slate was basically good for BT.

If that's the case, why don't you call CS and explain your situation and see if they'll PC the card from Slate to Freedom for you?  I'm not sure if there is a time constraint on this, as I'm not a Chase cardholder, but I hear about Chase PCs all the time.  It's really a win-win as it allows you a card that you'll use (rather than SD) which means they get swipes/profit as well.  I say call them up and explain your situation, telling them you meant to apply for Freedom and would much prefer that card.

Message 6 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@BBS. I called them the very next day, explaining my mistake and asked if it could PC to the Freedom. I was told that I had to wait a year and that when I PC, I wouldn't get any bonus associated with the card. Blah blah blah. But, I'm going to take your advice about not SD, since I PIF anyway. I can definitely go to Panera's or get a cup of coffee a couple times a month.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:
@Anonymous. I called them the very next day, explaining my mistake and asked if it could PC to the Freedom. I was told that I had to wait a year and that when I PC, I wouldn't get any bonus associated with the card. Blah blah blah. But, I'm going to take your advice about not SD, since I PIF anyway. I can definitely go to Panera's or get a cup of coffee a couple times a month.

I would grab your bonus and then continue to try and PC the card.  I've read reports on this forum of people being told they had to wait a year only to call back 5 minutes later and get a different CS rep that allowed them to do the PC immediately.  I feel like it depends on the CS rep.  If you present it as it being a win for them (you using the Freedom rather than not using the Slate) I think you'd give yourself the best shot. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:
@Anonymous. I called them the very next day, explaining my mistake and asked if it could PC to the Freedom. I was told that I had to wait a year and that when I PC, I wouldn't get any bonus associated with the card. Blah blah blah. But, I'm going to take your advice about not SD, since I PIF anyway. I can definitely go to Panera's or get a cup of coffee a couple times a month.

I would grab your bonus and then continue to try and PC the card.  I've read reports on this forum of people being told they had to wait a year only to call back 5 minutes later and get a different CS rep that allowed them to do the PC immediately.  I feel like it depends on the CS rep.  If you present it as it being a win for them (you using the Freedom rather than not using the Slate) I think you'd give yourself the best shot. 

There is no bonus to grab for the Chase Slate. Just a BT offer. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There is no bonus to grab for the Chase Slate. Just a BT offer. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Correct, no bonus with the Slate.  He would be passing up the Freedom bonus by the PC from Slate to Freedom, but if it's giving him the card he wants I personally would go for it.  It could take a couple of different calls to CS to make it happen, but I'm confident they'd end up doing what you want in order to keep the account open.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.