cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

@Dustink wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Yes, that is a time when I will likely pay for FICO scores.

Also, I might just get curious and pull my reports. I may do that before my 4/13 app spree.

I dunno I'm a moron I like seeing stuff like this =\

Not a moron, you have been though a journey worth watching.

I have new credit, with no baddies. My credit is boring. I can watch it on credit karma, but it is still boring. Just stays around 750. Changes a bit with INQs and utilization, but nothing worth paying for.

I like seeing the results of staying on top of my credit more than I like seeing the score change. I get more excited from new cards and higher limits than a gain of a few points.

loll i dunno seems like you like drapping too much.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 41 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

loll i dunno seems like you like drapping too much.

I turned 21 a month ago and still have not drank. I thought I would spend the 21st year of my life a little differently than most kids my age....No offense to duncan though...lol

haha yeah I like apping, but there is a method to my madness...and I think it has been working

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 42 of 63
distantarray
Established Contributor

but the question is realistically what are the cards you ACTUALLY make use of in good amounts of $5k+ or more ? Probably only 5 cards. even with a lawyer's paycheck unless you get to put company expenses on your cards Smiley Tongue

wait.... your a lawyer and you turned 21 a month ago? o_O

Message 43 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

but the question is realistically what are the cards you ACTUALLY make use of in good amounts of $5k+ or more ? Probably only 5 cards. even with a lawyer's paycheck unless you get to put company expenses on your cards Smiley Tongue

Who said I am a lawyer? that's duncan...lol

I am an in home tutor/family assistant. I help kid's with their homework and deal with other family matters. Many of the expenses go through my cards for the families I work for. It is easier to pay things myself and get refunded. If the kids need something or are hungry, it is just easier for me to charge it.

I got an AA degree by age 17, so I could have my JD already if I was an attorney. Although, that is not my profession. I went to business school.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 44 of 63
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

I am an in home tutor/family assistant. I help kid's with their homework and deal with other family matters. Many of the expenses go through my cards for the families I work for. It is easier to pay things myself and get refunded. If the kids need something or are hungry, it is just easier for me to charge it.

I got an AA degree by age 17, so I could have my JD already if I was an attorney. Although, that is not my profession. I went to business school.

lol name starts with a DU close enough (you know DU means FK in Vietnamese lol - no i'm not Viet, I just love the country went there a lot) it's funny to cause CU we use for credit union means peen us in Vietnamese too.

but yea more reasons to get a Citi Forward or US Bank Cash+ for cash back on restaurants =)  although Citi forward doesn't count fast food from what I understand. But CSP does =)

Message 45 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

The cards are no AF cards. I focus my spending on the flexperks card because it has the best overall rewards and requires $2k spend per month to maintain no AF. I use the chase freedom for small purchases. Amex HHonors for drugstores and cable bill. TY Pref to get my foot in the door with citi, plus get intro bonus. Bestbuy because I shop there a lot, but I get better rewards using other cards I might use it for promo terms some day. Crap1 has decent rewards via their online mall, and I needed another tradeline at the time of app. US bank college card was my builder. So they aren't that random and they do get used.

My planned apps are in the works and may change, but they have reason behind them as well.

Message 46 of 63
diabla
Regular Contributor

Since this thread got resurrected, I'll just use it.

What secured credit cards are GUARANTEED acceptance?  I saw BOA mentioned, but I applied for them years ago and was turned down.  I opened a bank account with them and earlier this year while in the bank on other business, they offered me the 99/500 secured.  Now I'm helping someone else rebuild their credit and they have NO credit cards whatsoever and HORRIBLE credit.  So I want to recommend a good secured card where they won't get denied and don't have to put up a lot of money.

She tried the Cap One preapproval site but it said it couldn't locate her information or some kind of message, so it couldn't give her a card suggestion.  I didn't want her to try the hard pull on it.  But are Cap One secured cards guaranteed approvals?

She needs at least 2 cards to get started.  

Message 47 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

lol name starts with a DU close enough (you know DU means FK in Vietnamese lol - no i'm not Viet, I just love the country went there a lot) it's funny to cause CU we use for credit union means peen us in Vietnamese too.

but yea more reasons to get a Citi Forward or US Bank Cash+ for cash back on restaurants =)  although Citi forward doesn't count fast food from what I understand. But CSP does =)

My name is Dustin, that's why my name is what it is on here...haha I am not very creative

I tried hard for that Cash+. I am $1,000 away from having enough available credit with US Bank to qualify. I have to wait 6 months to get that $1k more, hopefully at that time they will still have the Cash+. I got in touch with a manager at US Bank who will PC my college card once I credit qualify.

Message 48 of 63
distantarray
Established Contributor

@diabla wrote:

What secured credit cards are GUARANTEED acceptance?  I saw BOA mentioned, but I applied for them years ago and was turned down.  I opened a bank account with them and earlier this year while in the bank on other business, they offered me the 99/500 secured.  Now I'm helping someone else rebuild their credit and they have NO credit cards whatsoever and HORRIBLE credit.  So I want to recommend a good secured card where they won't get denied and don't have to put up a lot of money.

She tried the Cap One preapproval site but it said it couldn't locate her information or some kind of message, so it couldn't give her a card suggestion.  I didn't want her to try the hard pull on it.  But are Cap One secured cards guaranteed approvals?

get her 3 which is what I did, most credit unions require a 580+ score to join and to get a secured card.

I a woman in this situation get in with Suntrust just last week, and got a secured card. They're a bank but they don't use Chexsystems etc.

http://www.creditkarma.com/creditcards/secured_cards   also no credit check secured cards are here.

But if your a real friend who wants to help your friend, put her as an authorized user on a few of your cards, and let her get a nice bump in her score so she can get in with GOOD credit unions like DCU where she can get free Fico scores to check her progress as her scores get better. 

Message 49 of 63
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@diabla wrote:

We have just been rambling on with the old thread haha.

I am not sure about any secured cards being guaranteed. If they have major current problems. Banks are afraid that the "secured" assets could be seized.

Try to get some of her credit issues tended to first, then check out the secured US Bank rewards cards that I linked a couple pages back.

Message 50 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.