cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

Sorry to hear about that, might want to check out Wells Fargo Financial.

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 11 of 63
Senior Contributor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?


IcEWoLF wrote:

Sorry to hear about that, might want to check out Wells Fargo Financial.


a lending entity with the word "Financial" in its title is typically a CFL company.  CFL accounts can cause a score ding. 

 

CFL's in general, and especially too many, are to be avoided if possible for scoring purposes and because they can, in connection with other factors, make you look riskier to lenders.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 12 of 63
New Visitor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

Yea. Credit unions are a joke too. I was a member of Pentagon Federal Credit Union (service member). I had 600 in my account and pledged 500 to a card of 500. My credit score is 791. Bought a new car almost 4 years ago. Bankruptcy in 2002. discharged 2002. And they turned me down and have yet to give me an explanation as to why.

I am very upset with them. I make over 40K a year and am married. My wife makes more than this. All we have is house payment and my car.  Oh, wow, the just sent me an email saying if my wife would co sign on the card they would reconsider it.

A cosigner on a secure credit card? WHAT?

Banks, credit unions, they are all insane.  I wish all of us in America could go credit less and ruin these companies. 

Message 13 of 63
Senior Contributor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?


ssprayb31 wrote:

Yea. Credit unions are a joke too. I was a member of Pentagon Federal Credit Union (service member). I had 600 in my account and pledged 500 to a card of 500. My credit score is 791. Bought a new car almost 4 years ago. Bankruptcy in 2002. discharged 2002. And they turned me down and have yet to give me an explanation as to why.

I am very upset with them. I make over 40K a year and am married. My wife makes more than this. All we have is house payment and my car.  Oh, wow, the just sent me an email saying if my wife would co sign on the card they would reconsider it.

A cosigner on a secure credit card? WHAT?

Banks, credit unions, they are all insane.  I wish all of us in America could go credit less and ruin these companies. 


it would most assuredly be mistaken to generalize an app experience with pen fed (their secured products are almost as difficult to qualify for as their unsecured) to all CU. 

 

Almost any other major, regional or local CU would have less stringent underwriting and so may be a much better match for you at this juncture.  So far CU are still VERY MUCH a breath of fresh air vs. most major banks.

 

I made the mistake of thinking it was pen fed or bust in my initial search for CU and when I finally looked at other CU (after a few pen fed denials) i went 4 for 4.  look around, you'll see... it is not unusual for pen fed to deny at high 700 or even 800s if they don't feel comfortable with certain aspects of an applicant profile.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 14 of 63
Established Contributor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

Most Best Buy cards are HSBC products.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 63
Senior Contributor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?


cdtotten wrote:
Most Best Buy cards are HSBC products.

i thought they were ALL hsbc products???

Latest scores: Walmart TU: 769. MyFICO TU: 769. DCU EQ: 755. MyFICO EQ: 780. PSECU EX: 756. MyFICO EX: 780.
Message 16 of 63
Valued Member

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

Yup, same company
10.28.09 EQ 571 TU 606
11.24.09 EQ 611 TU 566
1.3.10 EQ 653 TU 566
2.6.10 EQ670 TU598
5.4.10EQ691
9.17.10 EQ658 TU682
Message 17 of 63
New Visitor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?

From past experience I learned these cards are loaded with fees and a high interest rate to boot. Before you get to use this card a deposit is required on top of these fees and you have a bill before using it. Go to your local credit union.
Message 18 of 63
Regular Contributor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?


scubagirl1215 wrote:
so today my fiance went to wells fargo to apply for a secured card and was denied. His scores are in the 570s, which is higher than mine are but i was able to get one two weeks ago. I didn't even know you could be turned down for a secured card. Did the lady that helped him just not know what she was doing or something?

Does your fiance bank with Wells Fargo? If not, then that could be the problem. I find it odd that you can get denied for a secured card as well since there is no risk to them. If you are looking for a secured card try capital one. They report to all three credit bureau and if eligible you can make a $49 deposit for a $200 limit.

 

TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+






Message 19 of 63
Valued Contributor

Re: Turned down for a secured credit card, huh?


Tran92 wrote:

scubagirl1215 wrote:
so today my fiance went to wells fargo to apply for a secured card and was denied. His scores are in the 570s, which is higher than mine are but i was able to get one two weeks ago. I didn't even know you could be turned down for a secured card. Did the lady that helped him just not know what she was doing or something?

Does your fiance bank with Wells Fargo? If not, then that could be the problem. I find it odd that you can get denied for a secured card as well since there is no risk to them. If you are looking for a secured card try capital one. They report to all three credit bureau and if eligible you can make a $49 deposit for a $200 limit.

 


lol. Zombie thread. This is from three years ago. I do hope she's figure out her card issue by now Smiley Tongue

  • Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 20 of 63