cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning Down a Discover CLI.. when could I try again?

tag
trnj88
New Contributor

Turning Down a Discover CLI.. when could I try again?

I'm going to hit the Luv button after my next statement on my Discover More card. Currently at $3.5k. If I hit it and get approved for a CLI, but it's not what I was looking for, could I turn it down and try the Luv button again in, say, a week? Or does the timer reset? Also, anyone with experience in this with Discover, have you noticed a higher CLI offer after turning down an initial CLI from the Luv button?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Turning Down a Discover CLI.. when could I try again?

Even if it didn't "reset", there's no guarantee you will get a better CLI offer the next time. I'd take what they give you and try again in 90 days.

Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would just take it and then try again in 31 days.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trnj88 wrote:

I'm going to hit the Luv button after my next statement on my Discover More card. Currently at $3.5k. If I hit it and get approved for a CLI, but it's not what I was looking for, could I turn it down and try the Luv button again in, say, a week? Or does the timer reset? Also, anyone with experience in this with Discover, have you noticed a higher CLI offer after turning down an initial CLI from the Luv button?

Thanks

If nothing has changed in your credit profile or use of the card or even payment history, would it be safe to say that the offer would be any better in that short period of time...???

Message 4 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

LMAO!!!

I see you're used to playing games with Cap1!!!  Disco doesn't do that.  In fact if you call Lending and ask for a HP CLI they won't do it if it's not credit related reasons for your low CLI or them not meeting your demands.  

Disco will even let you pull the trigger and collect more CL from them after you see an auto CLI post to your account.  Cap1 doesn't do that!  Cap1 makes you wait for 6 monrhs between CLI's.

Disco you can hit the button until you're content with yourself every few days even.  I was hitting it every Monday for several months trying to calculate the optimal timing between hits/approvals.  Trust me when I say this has been done before.  I even have a couple of threads on it.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-unOfficial-Data-Points/td-p/4802538

If you hit the button, just accept what they hand over.  It's not that big of a deal since you can go back to the trough in say 30-60 days and do it all over again.  If you want the most bang for your buck though I would time them to every other month. There's not a science to it but, there's a pretty good trend already in place.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

I would just take it and then try again in 31 days.

Exactly!! Take whatever you can get.. Tomorrow is not given or promised.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

LMAO!!!

I see you're used to playing games with Cap1!!!  Disco doesn't do that.  In fact if you call Lending and ask for a HP CLI they won't do it if it's not credit related reasons for your low CLI or them not meeting your demands.  

Disco will even let you pull the trigger and collect more CL from them after you see an auto CLI post to your account.  Cap1 doesn't do that!  Cap1 makes you wait for 6 monrhs between CLI's.

Disco you can hit the button until you're content with yourself every few days even.  I was hitting it every Monday for several months trying to calculate the optimal timing between hits/approvals.  Trust me when I say this has been done before.  I even have a couple of threads on it.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-unOfficial-Data-Points/td-p/4802538

If you hit the button, just accept what they hand over.  It's not that big of a deal since you can go back to the trough in say 30-60 days and do it all over again.  If you want the most bang for your buck though I would time them to every other month. There's not a science to it but, there's a pretty good trend already in place.

Gotcha. My Quicksilver CLI was declined recently due to them using a FICO pull from December. My FICO score is 50-60 pts higher now and my overall utilization is 16.5%. How long should I wait before I try to hit Capital One again?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When was your last increase with CapONE? They will only increase every 6 months to the T.

Message 8 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotcha. My Quicksilver CLI was declined recently due to them using a FICO pull from December. My FICO score is 50-60 pts higher now and my overall utilization is 16.5%. How long should I wait before I try to hit Capital One again?

Now, if Cap1 gets stingy that's another ball game.  Then you will probably do better for picking up a NEW Cap1 card and get a higher limit that way to roll the existing card limit into it.  50-60 points is significant enough to warrant a CLI usually.  Sounds like you're making some progress in cleaning things up or growing from a sapling and it's going to keep needing some effort put into it to get where you want to be.  Just keep in mind that Cap1 and Disco are two totally different animals when it comes to policies.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.