Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning in Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turning in Credit Cards

Hello,

I am new to this community.  I would like some advice as to how to proceed with the following:

I want to discontinue three credit cards (2 are to retail stores and 1 is bank-issued).  I've had the bank-issued credit card for over 5 years and

obtained it to improve my credit.  I has a $250.00 limit although they report the limit to the credit reporting agencies as $300.00(???). 

My question is how badly would my credit score be effected if I discontinue these three cards?  

Since my credit has improved significantly I no longer need this card and I surely don't want to continue to pay the $49 per year to keep it.

If I discontinue these cards I will have 7 lines of credit remaining (Credit Union loan, furniture store credit card, WAL-Mart, Target, Macy's Store, Macy's Amex, and one bank-issued).  The Credit Union loan and furniture credit card will be paid off by June 2011 which will leave me with 5 lines of credit.

Thanks so much for your help.

Roni226

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Turning in Credit Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I am new to this community.  I would like some advice as to how to proceed with the following:

I want to discontinue three credit cards (2 are to retail stores and 1 is bank-issued).  I've had the bank-issued credit card for over 5 years and

obtained it to improve my credit.  I has a $250.00 limit although they report the limit to the credit reporting agencies as $300.00(???). 

My question is how badly would my credit score be effected if I discontinue these three cards?  

Since my credit has improved significantly I no longer need this card and I surely don't want to continue to pay the $49 per year to keep it.

If I discontinue these cards I will have 7 lines of credit remaining (Credit Union loan, furniture store credit card, WAL-Mart, Target, Macy's Store, Macy's Amex, and one bank-issued).  The Credit Union loan and furniture credit card will be paid off by June 2011 which will leave me with 5 lines of credit.

Roni226

Hello and welcome.

If you close a card that has a zero balance and nothing else changes in your credit profile there will be no impact on your score. Here is an excellent thread talking about the pros and cons of Closing Credit Cards.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Roni226

Hello and welcome.

If you close a card that has a zero balance and nothing else changes in your credit profile there will be no impact on your score. Here is an excellent thread talking about the pros and cons of Closing Credit Cards.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

If balances are reporting on any cc, the decrease in overall available credit prompts an increase in UTI which can lead to a score ding.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@score_building wrote:

If balances are reporting on any cc, the decrease in overall available credit prompts an increase in UTI which can lead to a score ding.

You are right of course. Since I never carry balances I forget about mentioning that part. Thanks for "clarifying" my post.  Smiley Happy

When I say if nothing else changes I mean no balances on other cards. I should have added that.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 4 of 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@score_building wrote:

You are right of course. Since I never carry balances I forget about mentioning that part. Thanks for "clarifying" my post.  Smiley Happy

When I say if nothing else changes I mean no balances on other cards. I should have added that.

From a BK years ago to:

Am green with envy- can barely wait until I can say this! 

Thanks to ya'll PIF peeps for helping me keep my eyes on the prize:  financial freedom!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

marinevietvet:

The link you provided on Closing Credit Cards is a big help.

Thanks again,

Roni226

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.