Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Chase cards, can I product change?

tag
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Two Chase cards, can I product change?

I have two Chase credit cards and one Chase store card (Best Buy)....I have finally gotten my two main Chase cards to 0 balance. Had to use them for rent and tuition during college, and being late a day on a due date caused their APR's to rise to 27.24%, though there were never any lates on my credit reports. Needless to say, now that they're at 0 balance, I won't be using them again. Can I product change these cards? Or am I stuck with them? Should I write to them requesting my APR be lowered (though they don't do that often, do they?) Should I close them and try and open new Chase accounts? They are the United Mileage Plus VISA and Flexible Rewards VISA.

United Mileage Plus VISA $0 balance $4700 CL

Flexible Rewards VISA $0 balance $1500 CL

Any suggestions?

ImageImageImage

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

Re: Two Chase cards, can I product change?

Wait. So why won't you be using them anymore? Just because of the high interest rate? You could just PIF every month. I don't think if you were to close the accounts and open new ones or PC your going to get a lower interest rate because of the lates they have in their system. You might have better luck apping with a different bank, but those cards have decent CLs so I would keep them open and just use them every once in a while for small purchases.

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 2 of 12
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I plan to keep them in the PIF rotation, I just wish I could lower the APR. The late payment/s in their system occurred at least 5 years ago. I would like to PC the United card because I don't need or use airline miles, even if the APR doesn't change.

ImageImageImage

Message 3 of 12
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@simonlarano wrote:

Yes, I plan to keep them in the PIF rotation, I just wish I could lower the APR. The late payment/s in their system occurred at least 5 years ago. I would like to PC the United card because I don't need or use airline miles, even if the APR doesn't change.

Why not call and ask for a rate reduction if it was at least 5 years ago? If you've had great payment history since then and have paid to a zero balance, I could not see why that wouldnt help in your favor.

Message 4 of 12
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

Yea I would call and ask about a rate decrease. I was under the impression that the lates were fairly recent. As for the PC, you can ask while your on the phone with them but it seems like Chase doesn't like to do them too often. 

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 5 of 12
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

I had 3 Chase CCs and one of them was a Slate that's opened since 1999. I asked for months for a PC from Slate to Sapphire. My Slate CL was $8,600 and it had 15% util at the time. Chase refused the PC. They wanted me to apply for a Sapphire card and it would be a hard pull. I passed....

Please post if you were successful in getting the PC. I am dying to know, haha.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

d tRe: Two Chase cards, can I product change?

I would try sending a message through online, I was able to PC a non-rewards business card into the Ink Exclusives. 

Message 7 of 12
aftermath
Established Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

I had 3 Chase CCs and one of them was a Slate that's opened since 1999. I asked for months for a PC from Slate to Sapphire. My Slate CL was $8,600 and it had 15% util at the time. Chase refused the PC. They wanted me to apply for a Sapphire card and it would be a hard pull. I passed....

They had the Slate back then? Smiley Surprised

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aftermath wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

They had the Slate back then? Smiley Surprised

No they didn't have Slate back then, but since they consolidated their card offerings, most everything is either Slate, Freedom, or Sapphire through one product discontinuation or another.

Message 9 of 12
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

I know the Mileage Plus cards are only PCable for other Mileage Plus cards because I called about that earlier this week.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.