Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Chase cards on the same day?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two Chase cards on the same day?

I was recently talking to my little brother about credit cards and I talked him into getting a Chase Slate to transfer his balance from another card and take advantage fo the 0% rate. He plans to transfer about $1500 that he plans to pay off within 6 months. He was approved today for $4K with 12.99% after intro. His FICO scores are all 720+. I'm trying to talk him into now getting a travel or other rewards card to use to replace his debit for everyday spending. It looks like he's trying to decide between CSP and Barclay Arrival+. Should he app for CSP today or will Chase auto deny since they just gave him the Slate? 

Seems like Chase likes him since they gave him the lowest published APR. He has no negatives on his reports and he makes good money, but at the same time he has student loans (law school) and a mortgage which will limit his CLs. Should he go for CSP or just go with the Arrival+?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

Re: Two Chase cards on the same day?

You can get two chase cards in 30 days but not 3. Id pull Pre aprovals and go from there.

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 2 of 9
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

I've seen a lot of people get cap and freedom at the same time. I don't see the difference in this, however that will be his limit with chase for 30 days.
06/26/2014 - Gardening until 7/1/15
NFCU NavCheck 15k, cashRewards VS 14k, nRewards 14k
Amex BCE 15k, CapOne Quicksilver MC 3k, USAA Platinum MC 2k, Discover It 1k
Jared 5.1K, Zales 5k, Lowe's 15k, Home Depot 5k
Message 3 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

muliple cards too close together will scare them, and will most likely reduce his starting CL. Waiting 6 months between cards is the best way to get the best starting CL. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'm going to sway him towards Arrival+ or Amex PRG. The Slate is just to take advantage of 0% while he finishes paying down an old CC. He's really interested in getting a new card now to earn rewards so he can stop using a debit card. 

Message 5 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

If the slate was approved with 4k.. he should get north of 5k on CSP.. but that's just my opinion.

Arrival + would be good as well... providing that he can utilize the rewards for travel spend --- otherwise to simply redeem it for cash back is a waste on this card.
Message 6 of 9
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

With the new Citi Double Cash out in the market, who still wants to get Barclay arrival+?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^lack of sign up bonus and he wants a travel rewards card.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was instantly approved for a Slate and a CSP online within an hour of each other, and this brings my total up to 4 cards with them in 6 months.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.