cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two New Blue Cash American Express Cards!!!!!!!!!!!

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Two New Blue Cash American Express Cards!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, folks. I think I need me a new CSR! Smiley Wink

eta: And I got one. Original post edited above. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 31 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

I think it is better than 2X membership points for supermarkets and gas purchases for  Premier Rewards Gold. I want to cancel my PR Gold but I can't. I can't get refund for my annual membership fee.

Ron.

Message 32 of 327
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

I think it is better than 2X membership points for supermarkets and gas purchases for  Premier Rewards Gold. I want to cancel my PR Gold but I can't. I can't get refund for my annual membership fee.

Ron.

Unless you have some special circumstance they should prorate your AF and refund the unused portion so to speak.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 33 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

I don't think I will get prorate annual fee unless upgrading to the Platinum. I don't think I want to get one.

Ron.

Message 34 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

I just checked my Amex account access and it's still showing Blue from Amex after converting. Does it happen to anyone? Should I call them or wait until tomorrow?

Ron.

Message 35 of 327
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

That depends a little on how you value MR points.  If you typically redeem them for gift cards, then you are right, it is better to get the 3% with the Everyday card and way better to get the 6% with the Preferred card than it is to get 2x MR points.  But if you redeem your MR points for travel, it is a little bit more difficult to compare.  MR points are conservatively worth at least 2 cents per point.  At that value, you are better off with the PR Gold card than you are with the Everyday Cash card (although you'd need to account for difference in AF given your spend), but the Preferred Cash card would give you the best value. 

However, transfer bonuses can stretch your MR points, and if you redeem for last minute fares or premium international fares, you can get a higher value for your points.  It becomes difficult to compare here.  You might redeem ~70K MR points for transfer to BA to get 100K miles (with recent 40% transfer) and book a business or first class ticket that costs $6K or more.  You'd have to account for the fees you'd pay on the ticket and the miles you wouldn't earn by using an award ticket, but you're getting a pretty high dollar per point value on that redemption.  But if you'd never actually spend $6K on the ticket, it's not a true representation of the the value, you have to discount it somewhat against what you would have actually spent on the flight or give it some soft value based on how much you enjoy intercontinental business class service. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 36 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

Thanks for the info.  The Premier Rewards Gold is a charge card and it is not cash back card. It is different from Blue Cash (credit cards).  I know the Gold Card is good fro traveling and business. I like their customer service and it is much better than Visa/MC.

Ron.

Message 37 of 327
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Ron1 wrote:

I just checked my Amex account access and it's still showing Blue from Amex after converting. Does it happen to anyone? Should I call them or wait until tomorrow?

Ron.

Hi, Ron --I managed to upgrade mine, and the CSR said that it typically takes 24-48 hours to convert on the website. Once it does, you can use your current Blue, but you will get the Preferred Blue Cash rewards. This will tide you over until the new card comes in the mail.  hth

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 38 of 327
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

By the way, I missed it first time through, but that 3% on department stores is pretty great, too.

So I've got another fee card, even though I generally won't touch them, but with my grocery shopping patterns, I'll still come out way ahead.

6% at groceries with this card, 5% gas with PenFed Visa, 5% on airfare with PenFed AmEx, 5% on hotels and restaurants through Augsut with PenFed AE, 3% on all restaurants with Costco, 3% in Costco with an Executive Membership (I think; I'm still confused), 3% in all department stores with Blue Cash Preferred, whatever's going on with BofA and Chase Freedom this quarter, and a 0% BT from Navy.

Put a fork in me; I'm done.

I * puffy heart * rewards cards!!! Take that, Dave Ramsey. Smiley Wink

Message 39 of 327
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Do they have a list of these department stores?  Would Lowes count? 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 40 of 327
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.