cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two New Blue Cash American Express Cards!!!!!!!!!!!

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Two New Blue Cash American Express Cards!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get the $100 cashback option.  When I log into my AMEX's account it only says upgrade membership. 

Message 61 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

So do I. I didn't get it too. It only show I could get my old Blue account number, same terms and credit limit. I think you have to re-apply for the card to get that offer or it's only for those didn't have any Blue Card products.

Ron.

Message 62 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

I heard you have to the card for at least 13 months before they let you to downgrade or pc to another blue.  They didn't let me to change into Clear from Blue about a month ago. They only let me to change it to any Blue Sky cards or Blue Cash. I'm glad I didn't change it to Blue Cash at that time. Otherwise, I would have to wait for at least 13 months for any product change.

Ron.

Message 63 of 327
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@DI wrote:

I don't get the $100 cashback option.  When I log into my AMEX's account it only says upgrade membership. 

My understanding is that this is only for someone who is apping for a new card. If you upgrade, you don't get the $100. If you want to see the offer, clear the cookies from your browser so that you will see what non-cardmembers see.

If you want to get an additional card (this one), you would get the $100. You would also get a hard pull on EX. Smiley Very Happy (No soft for an upgrade, AFAIK.)

As for whether the fee is justifiable in individual situations, you have to run the numbers. If you spend $500/ month at grocery stores, and you get 6% back, you'll wind up with an effective 4.75% after charging enough to cover the fee. If you charge more, your effective return is higher; if you charge less, it's lower.

$500 x 12 months = $6,000/year; $6,000 x 6% = $360; $360 - $75 = $285; $285 / $6,000 = 4.75%.

Same deal on the department stores and gas, except you have to figure it on 3%.

I live in an area with expensive grocery stores, and I cook everything from scratch (= expensive), so it makes sense for me. I would think that it would make sense for foodies, for those with kids at home, etc. Probably not for those who live on ramen noodles.

As with any rewards card with a fee, it will work for some and not for others.

edit: cna't splel

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 64 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

I pulled triple credit report from myprivacymatters and I didn't see any hard pull from Amex  for upgrading.

Ron.

Message 65 of 327
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Preferred Card (6%) + Executive Costco Membership (2%) = 8%.  Count me in!

Although I have to wonder if AMEX considers Costco a 'supermarket'.

Message 66 of 327
android01
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Preferred Card (6%) + Executive Costco Membership (2%) = 8%.  Count me in!

Although I have to wonder if AMEX considers Costco a 'supermarket'.

From my understanding, no.  It would be nice though...

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 67 of 327
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, this Preferred Card upgrade, for me, will make it a nice combo with my new Costco Card.

Preferred Card will be my grocery/dept store/gas card. Costco card will be retaurant/gas card.

Message 68 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

Costco, Walmart  and Target count as warehouse  (1%). I don't know about  Whole Foods Market count as supermarket purchase.

Ron.

Message 69 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

@BP2003 wrote:

@mahendra82 wrote:

Can anyone suggest how I can convince AMEX to go around the 13 month waiting period for a PC? Thanks

lol...I just tried....no luck.

The worst part is I had a blue cash and cancelled it last friday (4/22).  My new app for the Preferred Blue Cash was cancelled because I opened a HHonors and Preferred Blue Sky within the past 2 months....apparently you can only app for 2 cards of the same type within 90 days (2 credit cards and 2 charge cards max).  So, I basically cancelled my opportunity to PC to the preferred blue cash.

Can you convince them to re-open your Costco Cash? You closed it last week and you might be able to get them re-open the account. So you can convert to new Blue Cash Card.

Ron.

Message 70 of 327
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.