cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two New Blue Cash American Express Cards!!!!!!!!!!!

tag
craig10x
Regular Contributor

Re: Two New Blue Cash American Express Cards!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with Ron...I spend roughly $300 per month in grocery shopping..live in manhattan, so i don't have a car (thus no gas purchases) and though i do buy stuff in department stores, it isn't usually a huge amount there either (and for that you are only talking about a 1% difference)...so, i would only come out a "tad" better with Preferred...maybe $30-$50 extra per year tops...if that...If i had a car, it would probably be a bit more worthwhile...

Now if you could get them to defer the fee each year..then you would be talking...but i don't imagine they would go for that Smiley Wink

Message 161 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

Craig,

I don't want to buy extra groceries to get cash rebates. Later on, the food get rotten. I don't want to be wasteful. I think of that is bonus by using the card. Back in 70s and 80s, they didn't have any cash back bonus or rewards plus AF.  Remember that time?

My brother and I don't drive big SUV (hybrid cars) and we don't spend a lot of money on gas purchases. Most, we spend $200.00 on the gas.  We don't have a big family to spend on the groceries. So I don't think the Preferred Card is my choice.

Ron.

Message 162 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

Here is the link for both cards:

http://bluecashcards.americanexpress.com/home/#/

Ron.

Message 163 of 327
DI
Super Contributor

My account updated to the Blue Cash Everyday card.  Can I use my old card, and still get the benefits of the Everyday card? 

Message 164 of 327
alph4
Regular Contributor

@DI wrote:

My account updated to the Blue Cash Everyday card.  Can I use my old card, and still get the benefits of the Everyday card? 

I believe as long as it was a PC/Upgrade, and once it shows up online as the new card, you get the new benefits. (ie you get the benefits of the card that is listed on your account online, not the one in your wallet.)

Current Cards:
American Express Blue Cash Preferred - March 2007 - CL $10,000
Citi Forward Visa Signature - September 2009 - CL $6,500
Chase Freedom - March 2011 - CL $15,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - May 2013 - CL $12,500
Discover It - November 2013 - $5,000
Barclay Arrival - January 2014 - $10,000
Message 165 of 327
DI
Super Contributor

@alph4 wrote:

@DI wrote:

I believe as long as it was a PC/Upgrade, and once it shows up online as the new card, you get the new benefits. (ie you get the benefits of the card that is listed on your account online, not the one in your wallet.)

Thanks

Message 166 of 327
rocketsfan85
Established Member

If I product change from Amex Blue to Cash Everyday, and later on I want to change to Cash Preferred would I have to wait 13 months?

Message 167 of 327
Ron1
Super Contributor

It's very good question. You need them to call them to find out. 

Ron.

Message 168 of 327
Anonymous
Not applicable

@craig10x wrote:

I have to agree with Ron...I spend roughly $300 per month in grocery shopping..live in manhattan, so i don't have a car (thus no gas purchases) and though i do buy stuff in department stores, it isn't usually a huge amount there either (and for that you are only talking about a 1% difference)...so, i would only come out a "tad" better with Preferred...maybe $30-$50 extra per year tops...if that...If i had a car, it would probably be a bit more worthwhile...

Now if you could get them to defer the fee each year..then you would be talking...but i don't imagine they would go for that Smiley Wink

Craig...

I completely hear you.  I live in Manhattan too, so initially while I thought this card would be awesome for me I decided I'd keep my MR points cards (Gold and Zync), since with the restaurant pack on the Zync I find myself eating out more and more Smiley Happy

However, this card is probably the ULTIMATE money-saving card for families living in suburbs or non-urbanized areas.  I highly recommended this card to my parents back home who do most of their grocery shopping at supermarkets and department stores.  Think about it - the average middle class family with the soccer mom van and the 3 kids..... grocery and gas bills would be a huge part of their monthly budget.  Unlike me (and maybe you) in NYC, we don't really spend money on gas or supermarket purchases...

Now, if AMEX made a Preferred cash card geared towards Manhattanites or other urban dwellers.....I would welcome 6% cash back on alcoholic beverages at bars and clubs, 3% cash back on taxi rides, and 1% cash back everywhere else.  Smiley Happy

Message 169 of 327
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Fico-ers,

I am very convinced that the Blue Preferred cash card is going to kick the a**es of the competition out there.  For those that complain about the $75 AF - get over it.  If you really take a look at middle America's spending habits, the two necessities that are skyrocketing in price due to inflation is food and gas.

This card gives 6% cash back for groceries out of the gate and 3% for gas with no maximum limits and no minimum tier spend.  Though I won't get one personally because I use my upgraded full MR points AMEX Zync to buy groceries online and from Costco, I recommended my parents back home who do 90% of their food spending at groceries/supermarkets to get this card NOW.

Why don't you get one? Amex Zync doesn't give you cash back bonus on groceries and gas purchases.

Ron.

Yeah, just use this card for all grocery, gas, and dept store purchases.  Especially if you qualify for the $100 bonus cash back rebate, I don't see what the downside on getting this card just for the bonus categories.

However, if this surgical usage pattern persists, there will be no doubt Amex will reduce the rewards.

I am keeping my Zync because it's linked to my Business Gold card and has the restaurant and green packs added to it.  So basically, for a $50 AF, I have a card where I get full-value Membership Rewards points at a 2X rates when eating at restaurants, which include bars and clubs....keep in mind I am male, single, in my twenties, and live in Manhattan Smiley Happy

I order most of my groceries online through FreshDirect , which is cheaper and more convenient than going to Duane Reade down the road.  FreshDirect.com doesn't count as a supermarket so I could not get the 6% spend on the Blue Preferred.  Also being in NYC, I sold my car a while ago and mainly walk/subway/taxi around, so the 3% gas cash back is worthless to me.

So yeah, the Blue Cash preferred would be pretty much a 1% cashback card with a $75 AF to me because of my lifestyle whereas the Zync gives me 2X MR points at restaurants, which I often can convert into FF airline miles at a 1-1.5X redemption rate.  

I would still say the Blue Cash Preferred is the ultimate card for most of middle America, who may have the 3 kids, soccer mom van and multiple cars.  They would use the grocery and gas cashback to the hilt.  If you live in a big city like New York, don't drive, and eat out often, then the card would give poor benefits compared to the Zync or COSTCO Cashback AMEX with the 3% cashback on restaurants.

Message 170 of 327
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.