Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Q's: Experian reporting and CLIs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two Q's: Experian reporting and CLIs

So, I received another update through Chase about my credit reports. Experian is now showing, in addition to the Bank of America card, a Discover card account. Both say they were opened 5/2008 and are paid (closed?). Since I know I'm getting a Discover card in the mail this week (please be today!) could I safely assume that I got the BoA card that I applied for? I haven't heard a thing since I apped last week. (They said I'd get an answer in ten days and it's only been six.)

Also, I noticed the credit limits reported on the two cards. The BoA is $1,500 (yay!) while the Discover is... $700? Please! I could run through roughly 1.5x that in a month. (I make about $1,000/mo and I plan to use it for everything. I like rewards.) When I get the card, could I get a CLI on it? How do I even go about asking for something like this?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Two Q's: Experian reporting and CLIs

Do you know if you got a Discover Discover, or an HSBC Discover? That $700 limit sounds like the HSBC...

Odd about the status showing as paid when you haven't even gotten them yet, but I'm not familiar with the Chase reports, so I don't any little quirks of display that they might have.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is most definitely the true silver-with-orange-edging Discover. My TU pull says Discover, the phone number that I missed the call from and called back was Discover, and the creditor on the Chase page is Discover.

If you look at the Discover More card rates, I got the lowest rate in the 'Needs Improvement' category. Everything that lady told me over the phone matches that page verbatim.

I'm not normally up at this hour, but I had a bad day at work and can't sleep. The anticipation of receiving my cards in the mail isn't helping any, either. Smiley Mad At least this is my 'weekend', so it's not like I have to be anywhere later.
Message 3 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I've had days (or nights) like that too!

Good luck with the mailbox. There was a funny thread going several months ago about flexing (bending your mail to see if there's a CC inside:

ok, I know you all do this
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I would do in your shoes is to use the BoA like you want to use the Discover- run a lot through it, PIF.  Put a latte or a candy bar on the Discover every week or so, PIF.  Do this for about 3 months, so you're building a pattern of reliability.

Then call Discover and ask for a CLI, "because your limit is just too low to even buy gas with it and not wreck your credit score".  They should see your usage on the BoA, and hopefully be motivated to compete for your business...

-MsMS
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
What I would do in your shoes is to use the BoA like you want to use the Discover- run a lot through it, PIF.  Put a latte or a candy bar on the Discover every week or so, PIF.  Do this for about 3 months, so you're building a pattern of reliability.
Then call Discover and ask for a CLI, "because your limit is just too low to even buy gas with it and not wreck your credit score".  They should see your usage on the BoA, and hopefully be motivated to compete for your business...
-MsMS

That's not too bad of an idea. Looking at these two cards side-by-side, it looks like the BankAmericard is a much better card. APR, fees, etc. are lower than my Discover. Smiley Sad And I really wanted to use the Discover, too. Any chance I can get them to bump me up when I activate? I'd hate to sockdrawer such a nice-looking card.

Oh, yeah. I got my BankAmericard today, and already placed a whopping $2.32 on it. LOL. And, just for future reference, I did not flex it. I like surprises. Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 11
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

I tried for a Discover CLI at activation, about a week later, and at the 3 month mark.  No go.  I even stressed that I use this card to pay my bills online -- and still no love.  The CSR specifically asked if I PIF and I said that I did that for two months in a row, then carried a balance this month (about 35 percent util will post).  He kept stressing that it's the 6 month mark that matters.

However, on one of the early calls I got a CSR that said to call and ask for a CLI (w/ a hard) if something major happened and I needed more credit.  Well, nothing major has happened and I'm watching INQ very closely, so that's a no-go for me.

My point?  You may be able to get one, but it might cost you a hard.

Good luck and enjoy the card!  I love the GET MORE program!

-Peas

PS - My new BofA is about 5x my Disc CL.  Smiley Happy
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 7 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

On my Chase ID reports paid means up to date no current balance open. Paid and closed would be a satisfactorily paid and closed account.
Message 8 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

To drag out the gardening metaphor, consider this Discover card as a very tender little plant, way more fussy than the usual marigolds and tomato plants that you put out. You're going to have to give it a bit more attention and water and protection and plant food than you do to the others.

With time and a bit of luck, it might bloom for you.

To get back to the more boring version of things, Discover is a bit stingy with CLI's. I'd take the CSR at her/his word and hang on until the 6-month mark. Use and PIF, use and PIF, and shine up your reports in the meantime. Good luck!

BTW, are you getting one of the fun card designs? You can even have more than one, so you can use a different one each time you whip it out. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
To drag out the gardening metaphor, consider this Discover card as a very tender little plant, way more fussy than the usual marigolds and tomato plants that you put out. You're going to have to give it a bit more attention and water and protection and plant food than you do to the others.

With time and a bit of luck, it might bloom for you.

To get back to the more boring version of things, Discover is a bit stingy with CLI's. I'd take the CSR at her/his word and hang on until the 6-month mark. Use and PIF, use and PIF, and shine up your reports in the meantime. Good luck!

BTW, are you getting one of the fun card designs? You can even have more than one, so you can use a different one each time you whip it out. Smiley Happy

I love your metaphors. Unfortunately, I'm not that great of a gardener. This is going to be a real challenge for me. Smiley Surprised

I just got the basic bland silver-and-orange one, but I'm really jonesing for one of the clear ones. They're just too cool. Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.