Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Questions about Citi Forward's ThankYou Rewards

tag
dhon55
Contributor

Two Questions about Citi Forward's ThankYou Rewards

I just received my Citi Forward Student card in the mail today and signed onto my account online.  Here's two things I've noticed that I'm confused about:

• First, when I click the link to go to the ThankYou.com rewards site, I get the following error:

"You must be the ThankYou® Account member — generally the Citi® primary cardmember or primary signer on the enrolled Citibank® checking account — to access the associated ThankYou Member Account from this website. ThankYou Account membership and Points redemption are subject to applicable Terms & Conditions."

• Second, this is what it says for my rewards breakdown in the Benefits Builder page:
    • Earn at least 1 ThankYou® Point for every $1 you spend on purchases including in popular categories like restaurants and entertainment.

When I applied, it said, and still says: 

"5 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchasesat restaurants (including fast food), bookstores, music stores, video rental stores and movie theaters; 1 ThankYou Point for every $1 spent on all other purchases2"

Why the discrepancy?  I hope it still means there's 5 points for bookstores, restaurants, etc.  But the "at least 1" seems unclear to me.

Any thoughts or insight on similar problems with Citi?  Thanks.

Goal Scores: 720+ (Experian Lender Pull 09/13): 733; Discover TU (01/14): 751; Walmart TU08 (02/14): 754;
WF Platinum (10/12) $1,600; WM Discover (12/12) $5,500; Amazon GE (12/12) $2,500; CapOne Quicksilver (12/12) $750; Discover IT (01/13) $1,000; Chase Amazon (02/13) $2,500; Citi Forward Student (02/13) $2,000; AMEX BCE (09/13) $15,000
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Re: Two Questions about Citi Forward's ThankYou Rewards

@dhon55 wrote:

I just received my Citi Forward Student card in the mail today and signed onto my account online.  Here's two things I've noticed that I'm confused about:

• First, when I click the link to go to the ThankYou.com rewards site, I get the following error:

"You must be the ThankYou® Account member — generally the Citi® primary cardmember or primary signer on the enrolled Citibank® checking account — to access the associated ThankYou Member Account from this website. ThankYou Account membership and Points redemption are subject to applicable Terms & Conditions."

• Second, this is what it says for my rewards breakdown in the Benefits Builder page:
    • Earn at least 1 ThankYou® Point for every $1 you spend on purchases including in popular categories like restaurants and entertainment.

When I applied, it said, and still says: 

"5 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchasesat restaurants (including fast food), bookstores, music stores, video rental stores and movie theaters; 1 ThankYou Point for every $1 spent on all other purchases2"

Why the discrepancy?  I hope it still means there's 5 points for bookstores, restaurants, etc.  But the "at least 1" seems unclear to me.

Any thoughts or insight on similar problems with Citi?  Thanks.

I had to register seperately for the thank you site.  I think there is some info in the welcome packet about what needs to be done. 

Regarding the thank you points, the wording suggests that you get AT LEAST one point.  The 5x points is supposed to be a promo that has lasted forever.  I have set up my  cards to have another 5% card available in case this "promo" is ended by Citi.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 2 of 7
dhon55
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

When I go to the ThankYou.com site and try to sign in, I get a "temporary error" page.  I'll probably end up having to call about that.

As far as the rewards go... could you direct me where to go to sign up for the 5x rewards or whatever it may be?  I was trying to look around for an option, but didn't see anything just yet.  If not, no worries.

Goal Scores: 720+ (Experian Lender Pull 09/13): 733; Discover TU (01/14): 751; Walmart TU08 (02/14): 754;
WF Platinum (10/12) $1,600; WM Discover (12/12) $5,500; Amazon GE (12/12) $2,500; CapOne Quicksilver (12/12) $750; Discover IT (01/13) $1,000; Chase Amazon (02/13) $2,500; Citi Forward Student (02/13) $2,000; AMEX BCE (09/13) $15,000
Message 3 of 7
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@dhon55 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

When I go to the ThankYou.com site and try to sign in, I get a "temporary error" page.  I'll probably end up having to call about that.

As far as the rewards go... could you direct me where to go to sign up for the 5x rewards or whatever it may be?  I was trying to look around for an option, but didn't see anything just yet.  If not, no worries.

If you applied for the card and it stated that you are getting the 5 points with the application, then you are good as gold. 

The thankyou.com site can act funky. I'm pretty sure they gave me a code or something that I need to use to register for it.  Registering for thankyou.com is different than the card part of the site. 

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 4 of 7
akabigo
Contributor

I had to wait until my first statement cut in order to use the thank you site, I kept getting the same error. Citi website leaves much to be desired. I did receive my 15k points as soon as I hit the spend requirement so that was good.
Fico scores 800+
Message 5 of 7
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

This should help, but if not CIti CSRs have answered all of my questions.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Citi-Forward-5x-Points-Update/m-p/1898423

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 6 of 7
charleeislegend
Regular Contributor

Hey dhon, i got the student forward last month and had the same problem. I ended up calling the number on the back of my card to confirm i was indeed getting the 5 points, turns out i wasn't. But I was transferred to a supervisor and he put the 5 point promotion on my card, along with 3000 extra points for the inconvenience. So make sure you call and CONFIRM that you are getting the 5 points, because i wasnt the first one that had this problem. Also on the benefits builder, it will always say you will get atleast 1 point, but wont tell u if ur getting 5. 

Credit Karma (TU) : 810 Discover FICO (TU): 805 Credit Sesame (EX): 805 myFICO (EQ) - 791
Amex Simplycash Business - $15000 Citi Costco - $12000 Citi Double Cash - $10000 Discover IT - $12000 Chase Sapphire Reserve - $32000
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.