Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two known blacklisters approved me in same night AMEX and Macys

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two known blacklisters approved me in same night AMEX and Macys

now my credit profile is complete . I will just need to tweak limits etc in the years to come. Its been a long wrong back from bad credit. Started with secured cards now I have 15k limit , 10k limits and 5k limits. Now two cards that I never paid and rejected me two years ago when my credit was much better both approved me tonight. My amex was charged off for an amount just under 1,000 and my macy's just under $400 . Never paid either off. I will see the limits they give me but I can work with whatever it is. I really want the macy's for the extra discounts since we shop there so much . My utilization is low and will remain that way. I learned alot about credit since my college days.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
android01
Valued Contributor

Re: Two known blacklisters approved me in same night AMEX and Macys

@Anonymous wrote:

now my credit profile is complete . I will just need to tweak limits etc in the years to come. Its been a long wrong back from bad credit. Started with secured cards now I have 15k limit , 10k limits and 5k limits. Now two cards that I never paid and rejected me two years ago when my credit was much better both approved me tonight. My amex was charged off for an amount just under 1,000 and my macy's just under $400 . Never paid either off. I will see the limits they give me but I can work with whatever it is. I really want the macy's for the extra discounts since we shop there so much . My utilization is low and will remain that way. I learned alot about credit since my college days.

Do you plan on paying both Macy's and AMEX what you owe them from before?  I simply don't understand why someone who you've burned in the past would extend you any credit now.  Thank God for computers, I guess.  I'm glad you've learned alot about credit since your college days, but you defaulted on your obligations, even if it is in the past, and you should pay what is owed. 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I will maybe I won't. Credit card companies really took advantage of me in those days . If they see fit to extend me credit now then I will take it . they declined me in the past and my life went on as well. I previously asked both companies to explain the balance to me and neither was able to provide me any suport. I had 3 or 4 cards in my college days but I didnt run up a large amount fo credit thankfully I was just unable to pay the small amounts that I owed but I didnt take advantage or  max out any card.

Message 3 of 10
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

how did they take advantage of you? you signed an agreement with them and it clearly states in that agreement what your apr is if the card has an af and when the balance is due etc. the taking advantage doesnt happen until you start paying your bill late or just not paying it.  i wouldnt recommend trying to backdate that amex cause that my trigger a skeleton in the closet

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want not need the backdating more than the card. So I will ask - no biggie to me

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They both already wrote off your old accounts and probably sold them for pennies on the dollar to an agency.  Your new score and history has just become solid enough for them to justify extending you another chance.  Congrats Smiley Happy

I recently discovered that I burnt Cap1 12 years ago, I forgot all about it.  I found some of those old statements and was like, "wow, I had a cap1 card before?"

Message 6 of 10
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Grats.

They gave you a 2nd chance.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you plan on paying both Macy's and AMEX what you owe them from before?  I simply don't understand why someone who you've burned in the past would extend you any credit now.  Thank God for computers, I guess.  I'm glad you've learned alot about credit since your college days, but you defaulted on your obligations, even if it is in the past, and you should pay what is owed. 

I agree, you should pay your old debts off with them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Congrats on getting a second chance!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@android01 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree, you should pay your old debts off with them.

If Macy's and AMEX had the debt still on their books they would have never approved the cards.  They sold the debts, otherwise they would have used the application as a means to try to collect on them, or at least convince the applicant to pay on them.

Whether or not Tracy chooses to pay will have no bearing on her new relationship with Macy's and AMEX. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.