cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two new Amex Hilton Cards along with Citi officially selling portfolio to Amex

tag
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

Re: Two new Amex Hilton Cards along with Citi officially selling portfolio to Amex

@happypill wrote:

I think we have the answer for people (like me) on the Amex BL who hold the Citi Hhonors cards.  According to the message from Citi:

"Please note, in some situations, your account may not be transferred to American Express. If this is the case, we will contact you with additional information."

Amex denied me even after their pre-qualify site showed 3 cards (no HP), and they wouldn't allow my brother to add me as an AU a few weeks ago, so I'm not just on their BL, I'm like on their Black Hole List.  I guess Citi will be contacting me with additional information - may a chance to PC to one of their other cards I guess.

Agree. I’m just trying to decide if I should cancel my Citi Hilton card now or wait to see what happens with the conversion. I don’t want or need any of the other cards in the Citi lineup. I guess I could just wait for the phone call and then cancel when they tell me that my card is not converting to an AMEX.
Message 31 of 57
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Two new Amex Hilton Cards along with Citi officially selling portfolio to Amex

@simplynoir wrote:

K-in-Boston said in another thread the head said the SPG/Marriott program will remained untouched through 2018 so probably won't see any changes til the following year after. I'm just hoping it stays intact even if I'm thinking of getting this card once some more details come out like the signup bonus.

Yes, he said that the rewards programs would not see any major changes through the end of 2018.  But the announcement regarding cobranded credit card(s) was supposed to come out hopefully by the end of 2017.  I think that interview was around June, and the end of the year is drawing near.  For simplicity, it would be good if they just left it in place and renamed it to the American Express Marriott card, continuing to earn 3 Marriott points per dollar on all purchases, and 6 points per dollar on Marriott purchases. Of course, an ultra-premium $450ish AF card with Marriott Platinum status and other perks similar to the aforementioned Hilton card that this thread is about would be an instant-app for many of us, I'm sure.

Message 32 of 57
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

K-in-Boston said in another thread the head said the SPG/Marriott program will remained untouched through 2018 so probably won't see any changes til the following year after. I'm just hoping it stays intact even if I'm thinking of getting this card once some more details come out like the signup bonus.

Yes, he said that the rewards programs would not see any major changes through the end of 2018.  But the announcement regarding cobranded credit card(s) was supposed to come out hopefully by the end of 2017.  I think that interview was around June, and the end of the year is drawing near.  For simplicity, it would be good if they just left it in place and renamed it to the American Express Marriott card, continuing to earn 3 Marriott points per dollar on all purchases, and 6 points per dollar on Marriott purchases. Of course, an ultra-premium $450ish AF card with Marriott Platinum status and other perks similar to the aforementioned Hilton card that this thread is about would be an instant-app for many of us, I'm sure.

I would set my seedling on fire if/when they do release a credit card like that. Be interesting on which network they leave it to.

Message 33 of 57
plastic_man
Regular Contributor

Has anybody here been able to successfully PC your Citi Honors card to another citi card? I called the EO and they said they can’t due it since September...My wife already has a Amex Hilton and makes no sense to have 2 Amex Hilton cards.
MyFICO Scores : EQ = 791 , TU = 794, EX = 774 as of 06/16
Current CARDS : Boa working assets $33k| | QuickSilver $6650 | BillMeLater $5000 | FNBO AMEX $20K | ChoiceHotel BarclayCard $7500K |barclay ring card $15k| Macys AMEX $20k| AMEX Gold Premier | AMEX Blue Cash $13.2k | | Chase Marriott $20k | CSP $14,200| CAP1 Spark Miles $28k | AMEX Business Gold Premier| citi Hilton hhonors $12k| citi AAdvantage $10,500 | Chase Ink Plus $27k | BoA Alaska signature personal $17k | BoA Alaska business $27k | AMEX SPG $11,800 | JPM Ritz Carlton $29.9k
Message 34 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like I won't be keep the Hilton Surpass/Ascend card long term then. Not worth the higher fee to me. Especially for the measly $1000 limit they gave me on the card. Boo AMEX.

Message 35 of 57
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@plastic_man wrote:
Has anybody here been able to successfully PC your Citi Honors card to another citi card? I called the EO and they said they can’t due it since September...My wife already has a Amex Hilton and makes no sense to have 2 Amex Hilton cards.

I've been trying to do this for the past week, have called 10+ times and each rep told me it can't be done. I'm hoping that I somehow fall in that mysterious group of people who can't be converted to an AmEx as I'd really like to PC to the Dividend (another 5%-er that's not available publicly for new apps anymore). Does anyone know which of the new Hilton cards the Citi card will be converted to? I don't want to be disqualified from the signup bonus.

Message 36 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found this. Hope this is helpful.   http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-use-points/credit-cards/citi-card-faq.html

• Q: What’s happening to my Citi Hilton Honors Card?
    A: Starting in 2018, American Express will be the exclusive issuer of the Hilton Honors credit card program. If your Citi Hilton Honors Card is open and eligible, it will automatically be replaced with a Hilton Honors American Express Hilton Card in January. The Hilton Honors American Express Card that replaces your Citi Hilton Honors Card will be available for use starting on January 30, 2018. From now until January 30, 2018, please continue to use your Citi Hilton Honors Card as you normally do and you will continue to earn Hilton Honors points for eligible purchases.
  • Q: How do I know if my existing Citi Hilton Honors Card is eligible to be transferred to American Express?
    A: American Express and Citi are evaluating which Citi Hilton Honors Card accounts are eligible to automatically transfer to American Express on January 30, 2018. There is no need to reapply and American Express will not perform a credit check as part of the transfer. If your account will not transfer to American Express, Citi will contact you with additional information.
  • Q: Do I need to apply for a new account with American Express?
    A: No. As long as your Citi Hilton Honors Card account is open and eligible, it will automatically transfer to American Express on January 30, 2018. There is no need to reapply and American Express will not perform a credit check as part of the transfer.
  • Q: How long can I continue to use my Citi Hilton Honors Card?
    A: You should use your Citi Hilton Honors Card until January 30, 2018. The Hilton Honors American Express Card that replaces your Citi Hilton Honors Card will be available for use starting on January 30, 2018.
  • Q: Do I need to cancel my Citi Hilton Honors Card?
    A: No. You should continue to use your Citi Hilton Honors Card as you normally do until January 30, 2018 and you will continue to earn Hilton Honors points for eligible purchases based on the terms of your Citi Hilton Honors Card. As long as your account is open and eligible, it will automatically transfer to American Express on January 30, 2018. If you cancel your Citi Hilton Honors Card, your account will not transfer to American Express.
  • Q: Which Hilton Honors American Express card will I be receiving?
    A: On January 30, your existing no-fee Citi Hilton Honors Card will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Card. If you have the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card, it will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card.
  • Q: When will I receive the Hilton Honors American Express Card that replaces my Citi Hilton Honors Card?
    A: Your Hilton Honors American Express Card will arrive in the mail in January 2018. Your Card will be mailed to the primary account holder’s address that is on file with Citi. If your address has changed, please update it with Citi by going online or calling the number on the back of your Citi Hilton Honors Card.
  • Q: Will my Card account number change?
    A: Yes. The account numbers for you and your authorized users, if any, will change. Starting January 30, 2018, you will need to provide your updated account information to all merchants with whom you have recurring automatic payments (such as your utility provider, mobile phone provider or fitness center), card information stored on file (such as HiltonHonors.com, Amazon.com and Uber), digital wallets (such as Apple Pay and Samsung Pay) and any bill payment services you may use to pay your credit card bill. Your Hilton Honors account number will not change.

Message 37 of 57
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

It makes sense that once the transfer deal was finalized between Citi and Amex, the Citi Hilton cards would no longer be convertible to other Citi products.
Message 38 of 57
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@MrDisco99 wrote:
It makes sense that once the transfer deal was finalized between Citi and Amex, the Citi Hilton cards would no longer be convertible to other Citi products.

Which is kinda BS as the wording Citi used is you would be converted to another one of THEIR cards.. I guess money won out at the end and they sold the portfolio for 1.x billion I believe I read.  Then they changed the FAQ a few days ago and the wording.  Oh well typical company.  As stated some are happy with this while others aren't.  Happy people are ones that hopefully can get back in with Amex, unhappy people are typically the people with alot of Amex exposure.

Message 39 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex taking over Citi Visa HHonors cards

In the email sent out today to all Citi Visa HHonors cardholders announcing the take over by Amex , it says "Please note, in some situations, your account may not be transferred to American Express. If this is the case, we will contact you with additional information."

I wonder if that means if one is on Amex's infamous "blacklist of past  cardholders they had unpaid balances with, even those  from 25 years ago, which apparently stay on their black list forever, that those citi visa  Hhonors card holders will fall into the category of " some situations " and therefor not be receiving the new Hhonors credit card. ( I was informed by Citi Hhonrs visa that Amex are NOT doing a hard pull on Eq,Ex,Tu.prior to issuing their cards to replace  Citi visa Hhonors cardholders in good standing with their citi cards. So that is why I am thinking that Amex's "some situations " might be their own  internal blacklist.  Any thoughts anyone?

Message 40 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.