Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two new Amex approvals: nice... but...same day app incurred 2 EX inqs

tag
ficofox
Regular Contributor

Two new Amex approvals: nice... but...same day app incurred 2 EX inqs

So, after patiently waiting for January 1 to roll around (max backdating strategy), I finally pulled the trigger on apps for the Delta Skymiles Amex and Blue. I was instantly approved for the Skymiles card, but it took 6 days for them to return an approval message for the Blue.

Interestingly, I apped on the same day because I heard that they would only pull 1 report for two applications (if same card type - credit vs charge). Checked my reports today and it shows that EX was pulled once on the 1st and again on the 6th. Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone else was expecting just one pull on the same day.

My theory is that either the Blue app got overlooked on the 1st for some reason and then found on the 6th, or they referred it for further review and that additional reviewer decided to pull my report again. They only pulled EX each time, no other bureaus pulled.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with the additional 22 years of backdating! I'm waiting to get my cards in the mail to find out the CL's.... I like surprises.Smiley Tongue

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Two new Amex approvals: nice... but...same day app incurred 2 EX inqs

Congrats on the approvals ! So will both cards show as 22 yrs old ? Or 11 years for each one ? Either way that's a great perk !

AMEX is quirky when it comes to pulling your credit. Some people have reported only one pull when apping for two cards ~ but what you described makes sense, they prob put the second app on hold for some reason.

They didn't pull all 3 CRAs for you did they ? Some people have reported this happening with revolver applications.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 12
ficofox
Regular Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
Congrats on the approvals ! So will both cards show as 22 yrs old ? Or 11 years for each one ? Either way that's a great perk !

AMEX is quirky when it comes to pulling your credit. Some people have reported only one pull when apping for two cards ~ but what you described makes sense, they prob put the second app on hold for some reason.

They didn't pull all 3 CRAs for you did they ? Some people have reported this happening with revolver applications.

Hi Pizzadude

Thanks! Haha, I agree 100% with your assessment of Amex.

---11 yrs of age on each card

---No, fortunately, they only pulled EX (twice)

For those considering applying, also note that I had 13 EX inquiries (past 2 yrs) prior to apping. Many of those were from auto loan inquiries, so may not have been as much of a factor. Personally, I've become much less obsessive about the number of inquiries. I think many CCC's trot out "high inquiries" as a convenient excuse for denials.

2nd note: I have had the Platinum card for 6 months before applying for these new Amex cards.

Message 3 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ficofox wrote:

So, after patiently waiting for January 1 to roll around (max backdating strategy), I finally pulled the trigger on apps for the Delta Skymiles Amex and Blue. I was instantly approved for the Skymiles card, but it took 6 days for them to return an approval message for the Blue.

Interestingly, I apped on the same day because I heard that they would only pull 1 report for two applications (if same card type - credit vs charge). Checked my reports today and it shows that EX was pulled once on the 1st and again on the 6th. Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone else was expecting just one pull on the same day.

My theory is that either the Blue app got overlooked on the 1st for some reason and then found on the 6th, or they referred it for further review and that additional reviewer decided to pull my report again. They only pulled EX each time, no other bureaus pulled.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with the additional 22 years of backdating! I'm waiting to get my cards in the mail to find out the CL's.... I like surprises.Smiley Tongue

Congrats!!! Serious AAoA boost coming your way!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Cool !  11 years is fantastic for your plastic !   Smiley Wink

Thanks for sharing your info on inquiries, I'm glad that they didn't blink at them ~ I agree that the "too many inquiries" denial reason is one of the more bogus reasons that is used. 

Just curious, what did your %Util look like when you applied ?   IMO AMEX may scrutinize this more closely when applying for a revolver card... 

Message 5 of 12
ficofox
Regular Contributor

Thanks, LS!

Pizza - My util was <6% overall.

Message 6 of 12
CS800
Super Contributor

Hello AAoA. I'm waiting for my BCE to finally report so I can get the 11 years. Hopefully i can regain some of the close to 30 points I lost on EQ so far from the new cards.

Message 7 of 12
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@ficofox wrote:

From experience I can say that you can get the 1 inquiry for 2 products as long as both are instantly approved.  It doesnt matter if they are both charge or credit, its only one pull in those circumstances.  But as you found out if you dont get an instant decision, you may be subjected to another pull.

Congratulations on the Approvals!!

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Another quirk to the way AMEX pulls credit ~ if you are an existing cardmemeber and you apply for a new card and are declined, they don't do a Hard Pull on your credit !

And they will provide your FICO score as a result of being declined.

Message 9 of 12
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Congrats!!

What are your CL for both approvals?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.