Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two new credit lines = score increase

tag
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Two new credit lines = score increase

Well, my new US Bank loc and cc hit my TU report and my fico score rose by 5 pts to 718.  Not bad since I had expected a negative hit from them.  Thought this might be of interest to those of you who are number crunchers.  Smiley Happy
FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: Two new credit lines = score increase

definitely not enough information, as i can almost guaruntee you the new accounts are not directly related to your score increase.

What was your util last month compared to this month?

Did any inquiries fall off?  Baddies?

Maybe you went on an app spree and had several accounts all age over a certain threshold to offset these new accounts?

There are more complex forces at work here, i can feel it, lol.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

definitely not enough information, as i can almost guaruntee you the new accounts are not directly related to your score increase.

What was your util last month compared to this month?

Did any inquiries fall off?  Baddies?

Maybe you went on an app spree and had several accounts all age over a certain threshold to offset these new accounts?

There are more complex forces at work here, i can feel it, lol.

Utility last month was 3%, this month was 1%.

I haven't had any inquiries on TU.  It is 0 on the report.

No app spree, US Bank is the only acct I went after and they pulled EX. 

I think the new accts helped my mix since I do not have a lot of cc's.  I now have 2 cc's and a loc, which is more than enough for me. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 3 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Imhotrodcrazy wrote:
Well, my new US Bank loc and cc hit my TU report and my fico score rose by 5 pts to 718.  Not bad since I had expected a negative hit from them.  Thought this might be of interest to those of you who are number crunchers.  Smiley Happy

If you only had one, possibly two, open revolving accounts previous to this wild app spree of yours Smiley Wink, then you can expect a score increase, even with the inq and new account dings.

The FICO scoring formula "likes" to see three open revolving accounts. Once you go beyond that, your scores will generally initially drop, unless the 4th and beyond accounts do something wonderful in seriously dropping high util or something like that.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 10
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

If you only had one, possibly two, open revolving accounts previous to this wild app spree of yours Smiley Wink, then you can expect a score increase, even with the inq and new account dings.

The FICO scoring formula "likes" to see three open revolving accounts. Once you go beyond that, your scores will generally initially drop, unless the 4th and beyond accounts do something wonderful in seriously dropping high util or something like that.

HTSU,  I do have a mortgage along with my 2 cc's and loc.  I have always been, and will forever stay a very conservative person when it comes to debt. I learned early on in life that nothing is free and what you sow your reap.  I agree with your analogy.  Thanks for the input to all.
FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
last app 2/15
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I had 4 new accounts just hit and still managed to get a score increase too!  Woo hoo for us =D  Congrats!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

Congrats!  USBank is on my wish list for next year Smiley Wink.

What was your pre-existing CC, if you don't mind me asking?

Message 7 of 10
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

beamMEup,

I have a  cc from CCCU.  I am not a big fan of having a bunch of cc's.  The reason I chose US Bank is because I have my mortgage and checking acct with them.  They have been really good to me.  When I applied, they  approved me for a $12,000 cc and a $15,000 loc at the same time.  They will get 95% of my day to day business.  I couldn't be happier with a bank.  Good luck to you when you apply with them. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
last app 2/15
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

beamMEup,

I have a  cc from CCCU.  I am not a big fan of having a bunch of cc's.  The reason I chose US Bank is because I have my mortgage and checking acct with them.  They have been really good to me.  When I applied, they  approved me for a $12,000 cc and a $15,000 loc at the same time.  They will get 95% of my day to day business.  I couldn't be happier with a bank.  Good luck to you when you apply with them. 

Thanks for sending the good luck!  Everytime we go in to do some banking, they remind us that they would love to give us a cc.  We're waiting for our credit reports to drop one lovely item.

In your case, your score increase is almost certainly because you opened a Bank/National Credit Card Co. revolving account.

FICO likes to see one of these, and USBank qualifies.  CCCU, being a credit union, doesn't.  So, you've dropped FICO Code #3 (Too few bank revolving accounts) [too few is less than one] and gained 5 points!  Your LOC also qualifies for this category - so you've got two accounts going for you in this category. 

This is being discussed on another thread - great timing - so now we know that in your case it was worth 5 points.

Message Edited by beamMEup on 01-05-2010 03:15 PM
Message 9 of 10
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

beamMEup,

+1

US Bank has been really good to me too.  I have the following accounts with them: checking, savings, LOC (overdraft), rewards visa and premier line visa.

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.