Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two of the same card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two of the same card

Hi all, I'm new here.  I tried searching this and couldn't find anything on it.

I am pretty sure I already know the answer to this but I wanted to be sure as it came up today....

Can you apply for a cc that you already have?  For instance, if you have an Citi platinum, could you apply for another one?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Two of the same card

Sure, you can have two cards of the same kind. Citi might want you to wait 60 days before you apply for second card with them, other than that there should not be any issue apping for second card from Citi. Also with Citi if you do have one card and does not like, you can ask them to change it a different card and they will change it for you. Be cautious if you do product chage, you might loose the points or rewards you accumulated on the card. Just ask CSR before you make the change.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I thought the answer would be no!  So you could apply, and get approved (granted that you qualify) for another card that you already have...same exact one.  The fact that you already have a card wouldn't impair you from getting another one?

Also, could someone explain the benefit of doing this.  To me, it would appear that the ccc would be better off just increasing the limit of your current card by whatever amount you would get approved on with a new card.  Likewise for an interest rate, wouldn't they just change your current rate to anything that is available and what you would apply/qualify for?

Message Edited by Chi_bot on 06-06-2008 08:02 PM

Message Edited by Chi_bot on 06-06-2008 08:20 PM
Message 3 of 4
Roxlie
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow, I thought the answer would be no! So you could apply, and get approved (granted that you qualify) for another card that you already have...same exact one. The fact that you already have a card wouldn't impair you from getting another one?

Also, could someone explain the benefit of doing this. To me, it would appear that the ccc would be better off just increasing the limit of your current card by whatever amount you would get approved on with a new card. Likewise for an interest rate, wouldn't they just change your current rate to anything that is available and what you would apply/qualify for?

Message Edited by Chi_bot on 06-06-2008 08:02 PM

Message Edited by Chi_bot on 06-06-2008 08:20 PM

You'd think that would be the case. I've had a Cap 1 card at 15.9%APR for just about 18 months and never got a CLI. I called and they wouldn't/couldn't approve one. So I hung up and applied for another card online and was approved for a card with the same limit and 0% for 6 months and 8.9% APR after that.

They wouldn't give me a CLI on a card at 16% but gave me another at 9%..strange birds..
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.