cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two questions? I have about 36,000 in cc debt, I will have about 22,000 to put onto these cc,

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two questions? I have about 36,000 in cc debt, I will have about 22,000 to put onto these cc,

I have about 36,000 in cc debt on three different cards, I will have about 22,000 to put onto these cc, should I call the cc companies and try to settle these accounts so I can get them to zero more quickly.  If I do this will it affect my score negatively?    Or should I keep paying on them and save the 22,000?
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Two questions? I have about 36,000 in cc debt, I will have about 22,000 to put onto these cc,

I should also add that my fico score are 760 average.  Thanks.
Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Two questions? I have about 36,000 in cc debt, I will have about 22,000 to put onto these cc,

I should also add that my fico score are 760 average.  Thanks.
Message 2 of 18
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

these CCs are closed?

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 726 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

no, they are active accounts.... and have twice as much cc limits on them actually.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You haven't provided some necessary info:

1.  Are these accounts open or closed?  Are they in default?  Late?  Collections?

2.  Is the $22k your total savings?  Would you be "broke" after paying it?

3.  What is your income?  How much are you currently paying monthly on the debt?

However, in answer to your questions about FICO and Credit.  Yes, a settlement for less than owed will result in damage to your credit, unless you were able to manage to get a written committment that they were going to report as Paid as agreed, which is not likely.

Message 5 of 18
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

could you list each account with the balance and limit?

IMO, you have enough to pay every card to under 29%, which would net you a nice points gain.  But looking at your scores, you don't need that gain.  I'd pay off the highest interest card while making at least 5X the min on the other cards.

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 726 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If these are active accounts and you have $22k cash, and you have reasonable income to service the loan, then you really need to pay the debts as agreed.

Settlement is generally reserved for scenarios where there is not enough money, income and resources to pay off the debt in full, thus the creditor accepts less than owed in order to minimize losses which will occur due to the inability of borrower to pay. 

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-10-2009 07:42 AM
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI

Thanks for the help....

answers to your questions....

Are these accounts open or closed?  Are they in default?  Late?  Collections?

2.  Is the $22k your total savings?  Would you be "broke" after paying it?

3.  What is your income?  How much are you currently paying monthly on the debt?

1.  these accounts are open. and active, they are not in default or late or in collections.

2.  yes, that is my savings.....  I pay anywhere from 1100 to 2000 on cc debt a month, but paychecks are smaller right now due to limited overtime available , currently takehome is around 1600 twice a month, but used to be around 2800 a check..

3.  last year my husband grossed 106000. 

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Is that 29% of the credit limit?

Thanks for your help.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want to get on the other side of debt.... I want these to be zero and not get them this high ever again... and put a ton in savings.

my current thought is to take the 22000 pay it to the debt, making it around 14000, pay 1500.00 for the next 10 months and it should be paid off.... 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.