Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two questions - Which card and should I Ask for CLI increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two questions - Which card and should I Ask for CLI increase

Hi all. New here, but have been lurking for a while. I have a couple of genuine questions.

First, bit of background, I have TU 750 and EX 752 as of last report. CSP $24K limit, Freedom $15K limit, AMEX Gold Premier and a Citi Premier from college days that has a $2750 limit. Utilization typically under 5%. Currently ~2%. Annual income is high as well as assets and cash balances.

Question 1: What other card should I apply for that would make sense? I was thinking about travel cards such as Amex Platinum or Ritz but am uncertain, but I like the CSP a lot. 

Question 2: I have been mulling just asking Chase for a CLI for the CSP. Is this a good route? What are my chances and what is their general take on extending further credit to exisiting customers.

I am just looking to increase limits to decrease monthly utilization and also looking for some potenital new awards. Thanks all in advance. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Two questions - Which card and should I Ask for CLI increase

With chase it is generally better to apply for a new card and split up the limits how you would like them. You're likely to get a higher limit than you will just getting a CLI.

If you want the ritz, that is the way to do it.

Add the citi prestige to that list of want cards. It's arguably the best ouf of the 3.
Message 2 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all. New here, but have been lurking for a while. I have a couple of genuine questions.

First, bit of background, I have TU 750 and EX 752 as of last report. CSP $24K limit, Freedom $15K limit, AMEX Gold Premier and a Citi Premier from college days that has a $2750 limit. Utilization typically under 5%. Currently ~2%. Annual income is high as well as assets and cash balances.

Question 1: What other card should I apply for that would make sense? I was thinking about travel cards such as Amex Platinum or Ritz but am uncertain, but I like the CSP a lot. 

Question 2: I have been mulling just asking Chase for a CLI for the CSP. Is this a good route? What are my chances and what is their general take on extending further credit to exisiting customers.

I am just looking to increase limits to decrease monthly utilization and also looking for some potenital new awards. Thanks all in advance. 

Welcome to the forum 

Glad to have you join us 

Looking at what you currently have I would say app Citi Prestige since you already have CSP/Freedom combo and Amex Gold

The Prestige/Premier combo would completely have travel covered any way you desire 

I also think you'll come out points wise better than with the Ritz but the 4th night free also is a nice feature of the Ritz

Question tho you made your Premier sound as if the benefits were different from the new version (college days) are they? 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forum 

Glad to have you join us 

Looking at what you currently have I would say app Citi Prestige since you already have CSP/Freedom combo and Amex Gold

The Prestige/Premier combo would completely have travel covered any way you desire 

I also think you'll come out points wise better than with the Ritz but the 4th night free also is a nice feature of the Ritz

Question tho you made your Premier sound as if the benefits were different from the new version (college days) are they? 

4th night free is on the prestige, not the ritz. xD 

Ritz offers marriott gold status which is great if you're willing to stick to one hotel chain. Prestige will get you 4th night free at any hotel, any cost, worldwide. 

Message 4 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forum 

Glad to have you join us 

4th night free is on the prestige, not the ritz. xD 

Ritz offers marriott gold status which is great if you're willing to stick to one hotel chain. Prestige will get you 4th night free at any hotel, any cost, worldwide. 

Thanks Jared typed the wrong name Lol SMH Oooops 

Edit to add

Wish I could have given you 2 kudo but only one allowed 

So here's your second .....KUDO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for the great advice. It is such a great forum and resource. 

Now considering the Citi Prestige. Haven't loved Citi, certainly not as much as my experience with Chase. That said, that 4th night does sound like it trumps most things. 

Regarding CLI with Chase, is it unheard of to get a CLI with good history with them? I have read that shorltly after the initial app, but i have not seen after a longer period of history with them. 

Thanks again. 

Message 6 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

It's not unheard of, chase is just less stingy with new cards than they are with CLIs. If you're willing to front the cash, go for the ritz and the prestige. Alternatively, get the prestige and the marriott credit card. =]
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just app'ed Citi Prestige, approved with $7k limit. Suprised it was low-ish. Should I imediately ask for CLI on this as well? I've read that works well. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

And thanks. I might pull the trigger on the Ritz as well if the 140k pts comes back around. 

Message 9 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just app'ed Citi Prestige, approved with $7k limit. Suprised it was low-ish. Should I imediately ask for CLI on this as well? I've read that works well. 

Congrats on the approval! Asking for a CLI immediately will most likely result in another HP, however, it is possible it could work. 

Another tip, if you open a citigold account (there may still be a decent opening offer floating around) they'll lower your annual fee from 450 to 350, and then you can close it whenever you feel ready. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.